Fire belly newts..?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Yes Jackie, I did see that and checked it out....thanks ! :D

Thanks Mgal ! I paid 25$ for the G&B auratus and 45$ each for the other two...they are PRICEY !! My daughter and I had saved up for them and when they went on sale...we made a run up to the store to pick these beauties up. (YES...those are the SALE prices...normally the G&Bs are about 35-40$ and the other two go for over 50$ each) The materials to put a viverium together aren't that bad though pricewise.....depending on how elaberate you want to get.

For a basic 10gallon you get one brick of cocoa bedding for about 5$ and a bag of terra lite for 7$. I used moss from my backyard and bought a few plants to add to them. But you do have to keep up with the fly cultures, which isn't too hard, you just have to remember and keep track of what you have.

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
My Amphibians are Crazy.

I posted this before but here is my Paddle Tail newt (quite large and probably about 15 years old, her best friend was the male firebelly newt, untill she met Mrs Toad.... HAHA, I have a 20 gallon with 2 of the California toads, 2 Firebelly toads, 1 Paddle Tail Newt and one Fire belly newt, and I just put a dwarf frog in there to help with the infestation of blackworms! But he will likely be moved to another tank.

Everything seems to get along vey well. Mrs Toad was raised in this tank and is very peaceful and picky about the food she eats. Your pretty safe unless you are a cricket or a super worm. She won't even touch blackworms or earthworms though, she is practicaly scared of them! She is probably 2x as large now as she is in this picture.

Last edited:

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
Not any more lol i just sat down and read the whole thread and loved it! Tricksterpup idk if you ever got your Red Spotted Newts (Eastern Newts) but i hope you did. I live on a farm in WV and the beasts are like cockroaches here lol just about everytime i go fishing in my pond I find some and have raised em up from the larval stage before... great pets... anyways back on subject i do have a real question lol. Red spotted are as easy to come by as stepping outside for me and i love the lil guys, but i also have been eying the FB newts at my LFS for about 2 months now... ignoring the idea of a species tank just to have a species tank can i put a couple of each together in a vivarium along with either a set of endler's or a trio of guppies??? any one have any thoughts on it?

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Not any more lol i just sat down and read the whole thread and loved it! Tricksterpup idk if you ever got your Red Spotted Newts (Eastern Newts) but i hope you did. I live on a farm in WV and the beasts are like cockroaches here lol just about everytime i go fishing in my pond I find some and have raised em up from the larval stage before... great pets... anyways back on subject i do have a real question lol. Red spotted are as easy to come by as stepping outside for me and i love the lil guys, but i also have been eying the FB newts at my LFS for about 2 months now... ignoring the idea of a species tank just to have a species tank can i put a couple of each together in a vivarium along with either a set of endler's or a trio of guppies??? any one have any thoughts on it?
hey Bunny Hunter let me answer a few of your questions.

1. I have not gotten my red spotted newts yet. Still after all these years. A buddy of mine has a source. I may go in with him on an order or there is a on line biological supply that sells them as well. I may do that.
I have plans now to create a Bog/Marsh setup with 55 gallon tank. Have it about half filled with water, lots of live plants growing out with some bright lights. I am thinking on having a few pieces of driftwood in the tank for them to climb out. Thinking on having about 6 or 7 newts in there, should give me a few pairs. I also want to get some Florida fish as well, blue fin Killies and some Dwarf livebearers (old timers here know my love of that species.) So far its an idea in the works. I am currently working on Snake caging so it may happen at the end of summer.

2. Mixing and matching wild caught animals especially amphibians.
I personally think its a bad idea. some one posted a thread here about wondering why their animals died, they had Firebelly newts, firebelly toads and dwarf african frogs.
A: Well In a small tank we are going to get the competition going on, animals stressed out with being with each other. 1 or 2 animals will devourer the food in a small setup. May leave a few starving. I had this problem when I kept my leopard geckos together. I no longer do it.

B: Unknown illnesses. One major disease that could effect your newts is the Chytrid fungus. This is a horrible plague that is destroying the amphibian population around the world. So I am very leary when introducing other animals into my displays. I personally do not do this. I typically wait 6 months to a year before I add any animal to my herp room or with my collection.

Just imagine spending a few hundred dollars on a Dart frog collection. You have this huge tank setup and then you find this cute little dart frog and you place it in your tank. And then a month later every one is dead.
You would just feel horrible inside, not just the loss of animals but the loss of money. Its always a wise investment to wait before adding.

C: Aggression. Amphibians are monsters. This again falls under number 1. My Cuban Tree frog collection came from a buddy of mine who went on one of those Burmese hunts last year. He was one of the few people permitted. Well He instead found a ton of cuban tree frogs. This was neat. He shipped them all back together and once he opened up the box he sent back up, there were only a few left. Everyone ate everyone else.

Amphibians will eat what ever fits into their mouths. So if you have a smaller animal you may loose it to the other species.

D: I personally think it looks better with the Biotope of that species. Imagine the fun you could create with a Japanese setup or with a Eastern pond setup. As I stated I plan on creating a Florida pond for Eastern Newts when I am finally able to.

But your selection of fish would be great. Make sure you do regular water changes. I personally would keep endlers in their own tank and just use wild form guppies or try some of the species i made mentioned.
Here is a good link for Florida Fish. I have worked with Paul Sachs in the past and he is a good guy.

But remember Amphibians have toxins in their skin and could poison the fish, just remember the regular water changes and filter changes.

I know I have limited you in some ways but in all actuality I am just trying to open your eyes in others. There are so many different ways to create a biotope with just those animals and working with small fish and plants from their locality.

And again thanks for reading this thread. I hope it has sparked some ideas and given you some more knowledge on these aquatic Salamanders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store