What Aquascaping tools do you use?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
Jeez, doesn't anyone just use their hands like in the good ole' days?
I did not too long ago, but felt the need for nice scissors because I couldn't properly trim some plants with just my fingernails... Being able to easily get a nice, clean cut right at the base of a plant has been beyond helpful.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I did not too long ago, but felt the need for nice scissors because I couldn't properly trim some plants with just my fingernails... Being able to easily get a nice, clean cut right at the base of a plant has been beyond helpful.
I will agree scissors are certainly a must for trimming but I've always just planted with my hands/fingers

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Roy, if you ever used long angled tweezers, you would never use your fingers to plant again... they are AWESOME! Seriously it helps a lot... you can plant more accurately and with speed. I never use just fingers anymore. I might use these tweezers for eating tacos if they made it faster and more accurate getting them my mouth. I don't really like fish tacos though... oh well.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm with Roy, fingers are best. Being a woman with fingernails helps for trimming too, except for java fern & anubias rhizomes. I have some cheapy stainless scissors I use on occasion for a "mow"...a friend gave me a pair or nice curved ones I haven't even opened yet (oops, don't tell). I think I used some tweezers or forceps once when planting dwarf hairgrass but they needed a lot of finger help...maybe it's a matter of practice with various substrates & tools...& maybe more patience & less "fish stuff" to dig through to find everything instead of my "attack method" when I'm in the short term scaping mood.

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
I guess those of you like Roy who use your fingers have never tried planting individual strands of HC... Try doing that with even a rounded pair of tweezers an you could end up finding it difficult ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I guess those of you like Roy who use your fingers have never tried planting individual strands of HC... Try doing that with even a rounded pair of tweezers an you could end up finding it difficult ;)

I've never attempted to plant those wee little carpet plants like HC as I've just never been a fan of that "look". I'm guessing tools would be helpful for such an endeavor. After reading this thread - I may have to pick up some tweezers at some point.

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
^ yeah i didnt always pull my tools out till the time i went with trying to plant HC... Planting over 100 individual strands of the stuff was definitely no fun, and would have been impossible without a pair of sharp nose tweezers...

But having a carpet now a few inches thick is definitely worth it...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store