brown java moss

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Mine is tied to slate. Like it is in my ten gallon. I'm pretty sure the concensus is that it will grow healthier/fuller if it is attached to something. It is also easier to see it's progress when you can scale it up to height. Here's a pic of the moss in my ten gallon that I just applied to slate about a month ago. It has had some crazy growth. The last pics are what it looked like at the end of December.

HPIM0511.JPG HPIM0510.JPG HPIM0458.JPG HPIM0427.JPG

Last edited:

bearskookum

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
Slate

Hey Sammie...I dont see the slates...they look like they are attached to the gravel themselves...are the slates you are using small flat ones? what did you use to attach? I used thin nylon line...but my darn shiners ate them all!:mad2:
So I am gonna start tying again...I collected quite a bit of nice stones and slates from a creek last month...so I am gonna try them...
Your Java moss looks really nice...never though they could be used as carpeting...thanks for posting pics..:thm:

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Ok, so I edited the last post to put some extra pics.
As for the slate, yes they are thin pieces and the moss was attached with black cotton thread. The one I have in my 5 gal are attached to the slate with the net like fabric used for making those bath sponge ball things. The process of using the net was a bit easier than using thread.
I have tahitian moon sand, so no I don't think I would be able to attach the moss directly to the substrate.
Who ate your nylon thread?
For carpeting it is pretty good seeing as it is low light and anybody could use it for this purpose. Having it on slate makes it easier to clean because I can just take the slate and moss out of the tank in one piece. I use a toothbrush to clean any debris that might get caught in it. Keeps it looking nice and fresh.:dance2:

bearskookum

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
Moss

I had some striped shiners and tinfoil barbs...if I dont feed them for a minute they start at it...greedy buggers!

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
They actually tear the string or do they just rip out the moss? They probably wouldn't be able to rip it off as easily it you used the net thing I mentioned. The bath ball sponge material.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Then I guess moss is out of the question, at least for that tank? How big is your tank? Don't tinfoil barbs get huge?

tepelus

AC Members
Dec 31, 2006
Fremont, Oh
my brown moss is starting to get some green growing in it now...but...it is also getting massive amounts of brown algae growing on it. i just rinsed it under the faucet today, but it seems to be growing back already. it looked like a huge mass, filmy, almost like when cyano gets out of control. wondering, could it be the result of the dead brown algae decomposing, causing this? now that it seems to be growing back i don't want to remove it, but i am tempted.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Do you you have it tied down to anything? That would make it a lot easier to clean with a brush. Is the algae anywhere else in your tank?

tepelus

AC Members
Dec 31, 2006
Fremont, Oh
i have it tied down to driftwood and a piece of lace rock. i have brown algae growing everywhere now but the long slimy stuff grows primarily on the moss and a little bit on the myrio(which i'm thinking of trimming down to almost nothing and see if it'll grow back, now that it has roots). i bought some otos and they are eating pretty good, but i doubt they'll eat the slimy stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store