AP Nitrate Test Kit Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Baldrick

AC Members
Aug 28, 2006
Hey all!

I've had several fish die over the last couple of months (2 Dwarf Gouramis and 2 Cories). I thought it was a nitrate problem since every weekend it tested really high. It would be up to at least 80ppm so I'd do a 40-50% water change and vacuuming.

This has been every weekend. Now, I have what I think is a brown algae (diatoms) problem and I attributed this to high nitrates and not enough light.

Well, this morning, as I'm testing, I decided to read the manual in my Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit and not just the color card - Doh!. To my surprise it says "The Freshwater Nitrate Test Color Chart is the appropriate chart to use for testing freshwater aquariums to which salt has been added. This test kit measures nitrate as nitrate ion or "total nitrate." (Other nitrate test kits that measure "nitrate-nitrogen" (NO3-N) will give readings 4.4 times LESS than this test kit.)

Well, what do you know! Of course I have no salt added so I guess it's safe to assume that my nitrate levels were fine all along?

What's a good nitrate test kit for non-salted freshwater?

Thanks all. Now I'll post a new topic on what is wrong with my tank.

Baldrick

AC Members
Aug 28, 2006
Yep.

Mine says "Freshwater Master Test Kit". I just have the older style in the cardboard box that slides apart (bought last Sept.).

The quote I posted from the manual is on pg. 17 - 2nd paragraph.

I could well be misreading the whole thing. What I gather is that I should take my result on the color card and divide by 4.4.

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
I had no idea about that. I have the old one too (needs to be replaced...). I have been getting some higher nitrAte readings as well and just played it off to the kit being old. Now I'm gonna go look at my manual....;)

Baldrick

AC Members
Aug 28, 2006
Well, I've got an email into Aquarium Phramaceuticals support that I'm waiting for an answer to.

I sure thought this question would generate a lot more responses here.

Oh well, I'll post whatever I find out.

zdomain

Registered Member
Feb 13, 2007
I have a fairly new AP Master Test Kit, and still have the manual. The way I would read that section is that if you have added low quantities of salt to your freshwater aquarium, this kit will still work. The section in parethesis is an attempt to explain why the nitrate readings of this kit might differ from other kits. What they are trying to say is that they measure nitrates accurately, and hinting that others don't. I wouldn't apply a 4.4 divisor to the readings from this kit.

In other words, your readings are accurate, and the salt thing isn't an issue.

Baldrick

AC Members
Aug 28, 2006
I would agree with you, but I can't understand why they put the qualifier "The Freshwater Nitrate Test Color Chart is the appropriate chart to use for testing freshwater aquariums to which salt has been added".

From this, I would infer that it is not the correct chart for water where salt has not been added.

I'm still waiting to hear from their support department.

SmallFishi

I'm addicted to Aquaria Central!
Nov 8, 2006
Canada
I read that on mine too but I knew lots of people on here used it so didnt' panic.
However this means that the tests could be 4.4 points out? Not really a huge difference when nitrates are considered IMO.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store