Building a full Setup...Part 1

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish addict

AC Addict
Mar 6, 2005
Wilmington, NC
the setup looks great. have you considered running some panels up the sides of the tank to "connect" the canopy to the stand. it would give it a nice uniform look, and really close it all up nicely.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
hey there matey, thank you very much for your comments on my build project...

Well, it was one of the many things i was thinking about when this was in the planning stage, but, like quite a few ideas, as this one, would remove area's of viewing from the aquarium, which is what i wanted to maximise. I also concidered making a frame at the back of the stand so the complete hood could be lifted up and away from the tank which would be amazing for tank maintenance, but i thought it would look a little unsightly...

Thanks again for the comments buddy..

Niko

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
That looks really good atnixon! I really like all of the storage you seem to have as well as the built-in fans. I think it really helps others out when people like you write an entire set-up 'journal' each step of the way- and it's interesting as well!

Thanks for sharing and I hope there will be more pictures to come.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Hey there...Thanks very much for the comments...Thats the main reason why i have done a build thread. Hopefully, some-one new who is interested can view it all, from start to finish, and maybe give some-one some insiration or ideas and they can se what is involved...

I will probably take some pictures at the weekend. Am getting a fish on sunday and have also been gifted a brown Favia Brain coral, will be getting that on saturday afternoon off a mate who is breaking his Reef up, so that will be the first coral in the tank...The fish i am getting is an orange spotted watchman goby, pistol shrimp will follow a week later, got to order him in...

Niko

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looking good! How heavy is that canopy?

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
hey there RB...Thanks for leaving a little feedback

Its not very heavy at all, all it is basically is a frame and some MDF board..The two MH lights weight more than what the actual hood does...

I am no strong person by any means, but, without the mh lights in, i can lift it off the tank with very little effort indeed...near enough one handed...So, not really weight in it...But, it serves a purpose, and it does it very well indeed...cheers

Niko

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Well, it isnt really when concidering the lights i have in there...When build a hood for system you have to concider tank maintenance with having to take all the lights out, i have plenty of tank access so i am happy with it matey...

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store