55 gallon build/journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
nobody? oh and my BP is scaring me. hes laying on his side alot. this morning he was on his side with his head trying to get under a rock and i thought he was dead.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
could i do an angelfish school if i removed the BP and thined the cherry barbs school a little? also how would i do a school without 2 of them pairing up? try to get all females?
angelfish are cichlids, they prefer to be in pairs not schools, FMK. I doubt you'll be able to get all one gender, but if you can then they would probably be fine.

nobody? oh and my BP is scaring me. hes laying on his side alot. this morning he was on his side with his head trying to get under a rock and i thought he was dead.
I think you should find the recite for him, he may not make it. Maybe add some fake plants for now to give him more hiding places then just rocks?

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
first up, put at least 5 cherry barbs in the angel tank while it's growing up. Otherwise the cherry barbs could very well become snacks...
QUOTE]

Cherry barbs grow to 2 inches, so unless you have a large angel and very young cherry barbs, the barbs won't be in danger of being eaten. No need to acclimatize a young angel to fish that, as adults, will be too large for the angel to consume.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
could i do an angelfish school if i removed the BP and thined the cherry barbs school a little? also how would i do a school without 2 of them pairing up? try to get all females? just wondering/QUOTE]
Angels are nearly impossible to sex, especially as juveniles. I've heard some hobbyists say the area of the body under the pecoral fins is squared off in either males or females (can't remember which), but you would only be able to observe this in sexually mature individuals. Your best bet is to just remove the spawning pair(s) out of the group of angels you acquire.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
angelfish are cichlids, they prefer to be in pairs not schools, FMK. I doubt you'll be able to get all one gender, but if you can then they would probably be fine.

I think you should find the recite for him, he may not make it. Maybe add some fake plants for now to give him more hiding places then just rocks?
angelfish along with oscars and other cichlids naturally school in nature. i dont even know where the recite is.

Angels are nearly impossible to sex, especially as juveniles. I've heard some hobbyists say the area of the body under the pecoral fins is squared off in either males or females (can't remember which), but you would only be able to observe this in sexually mature individuals. Your best bet is to just remove the spawning pair(s) out of the group of angels you acquire.
ive also heard of sexing them by there heads. a male will have a more rounded head while the females are more pointed.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
he cant close his mouth so im safe. i put them all in the tank even though its not all the way clear. i had to go to bed though. i hope its ok if a bulldog pleco and betta share the home for a week. the bettas the one im kind of worried about, but i doubt the BP could do much in a week especially without being able to close his mouth and with the really tiny gaps that the betta can squeeze into but the blood parrot couldnt even stick his head into. ill take pics tomorrow. cant wait to get the angel and cherry barbs!!! maybe ill go to an LFS and look at some angels, and maybe this weekend too before i pay for the philine blue.
Just wanted to say good luck on your 55 gallon, I'm jealous you have a parrot, they are adorable!! and you can send the betta and pleco next week now so they get here Fri/Sat :) Or sooner if need be, I can always make a quick run to the post office to pick them up if I miss them, as long as they don't get here Tuesday I am good :) Sorry about the delay! I'd pm, but my computer won't let me now for some reason :)

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Just wanted to say good luck on your 55 gallon, I'm jealous you have a parrot, they are adorable!! and you can send the betta and pleco next week now so they get here Fri/Sat :) Or sooner if need be, I can always make a quick run to the post office to pick them up if I miss them, as long as they don't get here Tuesday I am good :) Sorry about the delay! I'd pm, but my computer won't let me now for some reason :)
ok ill send em out monday or tuesday and pm you when i do.

here's what hes been doing ALL day almost

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
gonna get some more cherry barbs this weeked. how many would be the max i can keep in the quarentine with the angelfish? also might get some fake plants, and im getting some driftwood from creeks and such hopfully. i was gonna add this cool piece but it seems to soft and i dont know what softwood will do but i dont know if i wanna risk it.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i also added some crypts, a sword, hygro, and anubius. ill add more anubius once i can destract my cutteri long enough to where it wont bite my hand off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store