Do you go fishing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I went fishing this past weekend. Smallmouth B's and Redear Sunfish like you wouldnt believe. Nothing big.

swinneyw

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
fishing is my favorite sport and tropical fish is my favorite hobby i don't let one interfer with the other

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
well...sometimes I like to hook a toaster up to the cigarette lighter in my car and toss it in a stream.

does that count ?
I like to catch them small, then keep them and feed them up into a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fish and then knock them on the head and have them mounted and then tell people I caught them like that.
Seriously?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I fish as much as I can get in. I use cut-bait, frozen bait, nightcrawlers, artificial - (metal, plastic, or rubber). A bad day of fishing is better than a good day trapped in the house.

Everything is catch, and release (always has been) except for what I will eat.

beeZer350

Likes Expensive Hobbies :(
Jan 19, 2008
I love to go fishing. Every summer my father-in-law and I head up to Lake Erie for perch/walleye fishing. Always a good time. I try to get out to local lakes a few times a month during the summer but I'm not always successful at that.

This past winter I tried ice fishing for the first time. It was a lot more fun that I thought it would be.

I quick shot of our set up:

What I landed:

Since becoming a somewhat serious fish keeper I've researched ways to humanely kill the fish once caught, rather than letting them languish in a cooler until I finish my day. One method I've discovered is to puncture them right behind the eye. This apparently yields instant, painless death. There are a few benefits to doing this as well. For one, the fish doesn't suffer and also it prevents the build up of lactic acid in the tissue which can affect the taste of the meat.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Here's an interesting article. It's a scientific study of various catch-and-release methods, with information on which ones are the most effective and/or humane: http://www.acuteangling.com/Reference/C&RMortality.html
It says, for example, to reduce fish mortality rates, 1) you should use artificial bates, 2) if artificial bates are not possible, you should use circle hooks instead of J-hooks, and 3) you should use a Boga-grip tool, not a net, to land the fish.

(I'll be honest--I'm a vegetarian, and I don't fish :). But I was reading this thread and realized that a lot of people who keep fish as pets also go sport fishing. And I figured that, despite our differences, we're all interested in keeping fish ecosystems healthy and treating fish as humanely as possible, which are the main benefits of catch-and-release. So I thought I'd share an article that all you anglers might find interesting and useful. Cheers!)

fancyfishgirl

AC Members
Mar 6, 2009
Orlando
ok so i haven't been fishing in YEARS! My dad and I used to go out and go deep sea fishing. I liked it...it was nice to be out on the ocean and I loved eating the fish we caught. Do i think it's cruel to go fishing just to catch and release? meh...maybe...depends on the type of hool your using etc.. Do I think it's cruel to catch fish just to mount them on your wall? absolutlly! But I can say that fishing is uber relaxing!

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
I used to love it, but as I got older I realized how completely cruel it was for me to hook something through it's mouth when I have plenty of food at home, or simply for my enjoyment if it's going to be released.
If you need to kill these creatures because food is too expensive for you, then go ahead.. But I won't fish again, I don't NEED to to live.

I'm the same with hunting, and a lot of people do live mostly on what they kill, so no problem if you need the meat.

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
I really do like fishing... when I catch something.
I just hate how you can never control where the hook goes.
It PAINS me to see a hook through the eye, when I know there isn't anything I can do about it.
But it's only happened once to me, more to people I know though.
I only use bread :]
All hail the mighty channel cat, and brim catcher!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store