Amphipod infestation!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zoose

AC Members
Oct 13, 2014
I set up a small 10 gallon planted tank a couple weeks ago. Bought a few cherry shrimp and some pygmy corys, and noticed a tiny shrimp dude a week ago! Super stoked I've been checking in on him daily, until I realized he does not look anything like a rcs, is not getting larger, and has dozens of family members... I believe these are amphipods and I know they may be okay for the tank but I personally would not like a colony of them! Is there any fish who can be in a 10 gallon and that will catch these fast little guys?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I set up a small 10 gallon planted tank a couple weeks ago. Bought a few cherry shrimp and some pygmy corys, and noticed a tiny shrimp dude a week ago! Super stoked I've been checking in on him daily, until I realized he does not look anything like a rcs, is not getting larger, and has dozens of family members... I believe these are amphipods and I know they may be okay for the tank but I personally would not like a colony of them! Is there any fish who can be in a 10 gallon and that will catch these fast little guys?
A betta may snack on 'em.

Mark

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
take a look at them thru a magnifying glass... when the female releases them they hardly look like the adult shrimp.

I raise mine in 5 gallon tanks and will often see pods swimming in the tank then a week or so later start to notice the very tiny shrimp sitting on plants or the glass.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The other thing to consider is that anything that will eat up amphipods (if thats wat they truly are) will also eat your baby RCS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store