Indian Mudskippers - Full Tank Video

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
what fish is that on the glass?

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
what fish is that on the glass?
It's a mudskipper. They jump up on the glass, stick their bellies to the glass and hang out. Makes it hard to keep sand off the glass!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
The aggression also varies fish to fish, for instance I have two in this 12 gallon, but I've created enough areas for them both to pirch without being able to see each other, so they're quite happy.

If you're going to go for Mudskippers, I do recommend the Indians, they're much less aggressive than the African Muds.
I would also recommend Indian Mudskippers - they are less aggressive and stay smaller.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
It's a mudskipper. They jump up on the glass, stick their bellies to the glass and hang out. Makes it hard to keep sand off the glass!

oh! it looked like a goby and i was like, why the heck is he out of the water!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
oh! it looked like a goby and i was like, why the heck is he out of the water!
LOL yeah they are pretty closely related to gobies if I remember right. They actually spend very little time in the water though.

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
I been looking at methods to keep their air humid and warm. I'm thinking of using a plexi-glass top with maybe a heat lamp. What should I use to filter the water area? I'm kinda stuck on deciding what to do about that. I could rig a small water pump with a filter floss intake... I'm thinking of using sand and driftwood and just silk plants. Thoughts? I'd love to hear your feedback

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
What should I use to filter the water area?
I had a buddy that kept skippers and in the water area of his tank he just used one of those old school Corner filters driven by a air pump. He filled it with Floss and carbon.
P31571.jpg

Or you could simply use one of the many internal submersible filters.. Fluval U Series are decent as are the Marineland Duettos

P31571.jpg

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
I had a buddy that kept skippers and in the water area of his tank he just used one of those old school Corner filters driven by a air pump. He filled it with Floss and carbon.
View attachment 178939

Or you could simply use one of the many internal submersible filters.. Fluval U Series are decent as are the Marineland Duettos
Thank you ! I havent seen those filters!!!

Shalmainia

AC Members
May 27, 2011
England
Real Name
Tobias
I use a Fluval Mini canister filter in mine, however the sponge has to be regularly cleaned, they're poop monsters and extremely messy eaters. For instance mine leave severed black cricket limbs around for me, lovely. A lid should suffice for the humidity if you raise the temperature a couple of degrees. You will initially get a problem with condensation on the glass inside, but it'll clear up if you wipe it off now and then.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I been looking at methods to keep their air humid and warm. I'm thinking of using a plexi-glass top with maybe a heat lamp. What should I use to filter the water area? I'm kinda stuck on deciding what to do about that. I could rig a small water pump with a filter floss intake... I'm thinking of using sand and driftwood and just silk plants. Thoughts? I'd love to hear your feedback
I just use a whisper internal filter, which has a suction cup on the back to stick it to the glass. It works perfect and you can get the filters about anywhere. I just put a nylon stocking of carbon in it for media. Since the water is just a few inches deep, and only on about half the tank, there really isn't much water to filter. (I hide the filter with those rocks and make it look like a waterfall) I only feed my skippers every 2-3 days, as overfeeding causes bloat, and they're not skinny by any means! Also, I do not feed crickets, just as a precaution, because I've read that may cause bloat too since crickets aren't in their natural environment in my research on the dwarf Indian skippers. I've tried feeding little earth worms, but they don't bother with them. I feed thawed cubes of bloodworms, mysis shrimp, clams, etc that I feed my other fish. They also love earthworm flakes, which I feed occasionally. I have a few ghost shrimp and nerite snails for cleanup of the water, and then I do water changes about every 1-2 weeks. Also for lighting, I use a T5 light that I had on the aquarium already, although I only use 2 of the 4 bulbs in it. This creates a lot of warmth. I have a glass lid on the aquarium with some screen covering the back couple inches to allow some ventilation. I keep the water heated to nearly 85 degrees. This has worked well for me, all skippers are doing excellent still after about 7 months.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store