Fancy guppy problem/ new tank problem /need help soon!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lee567

AC Members
Apr 10, 2014
I at first only noticed a large snail. It's not huge but it is much larger than the others.. The others are like a dot. And there is about 30 that I can see. I removed the dying plant because I quickly realized the eggs. The other plants are doing amazing. My Lilly pads are a great size (3at the surface) I don't want them to die from the snails. What can I add to the tank? I'm going to the store tomorrow.

Lee567

AC Members
Apr 10, 2014
I don't have a GH testing kit. I just have the freshwater master test kit. Which is ph, high range ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. And for the plants I am just using Plant Pack Fundamentals Level one, fromseachem.
which has flourish, flourish excel, and flourish iron.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I don't have a GH testing kit. I just have the freshwater master test kit. Which is ph, high range ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. And for the plants I am just using Plant Pack Fundamentals Level one, fromseachem.
which has flourish, flourish excel, and flourish iron.
Is all that froth from the filter? I would lower the filter return so this is avoided; the return can be just below the surface.

Track down your municipal water supply website. GH may be indicated there. If you find the site and can't fathom things, post the link and I'll have a go.

Seachem plant products are very good, I use them myself. However, I do not recommend using Excel, the so-called liquid carbon. The Flourish Comprehensive is excellent; slightly less than 1/2 a teaspoon added after the weekly water change is all you need in a 10g. About the same or even less for the Flourish Iron.

The stem plant on the left I can't make out, but stem plants are not always easy to maintain. If you can find some sword plants, one of the common swords, or especially the chain sword, they would do very well. Pennywort is one of the better stem plants for natural method planted tanks, and see if they have any floating plants. Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, or the Pennywort left floating would be beneficial.

Byron.

Lee567

AC Members
Apr 10, 2014
No the froth I believe is from the plant that the snails ate. The filter seems to be running fine. The plant decayed as soon as I removed it from the aquarium. Smelt horrible.

I cannot find a tap water report for the water by me. I can only find well water reports. But my house comes from the city water which filters the water out from the lakes. I am in michigan. I also filtered my water before adding.

I did find the water reports from 2009-2011. I don't see anything on the general hardness. Just what's in the water

What fish do you recommend for my 10 g tank? Should I get any fish today?

Lee567

AC Members
Apr 10, 2014
I got two assassin snails today. And two more guppies, tested the water before adding, everything is at 0 nitrites nitrates and ammonia. They where doing great all day swimming around everywhere. But when I went to look at it about 10 minutes ago, one was just laying and the bottom and the other was swimming at the top and perdoically going to the very top for air. I'm not sure what's wrong or what I can do. I'll try and post a video if them doing it.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
It is odd how things come to one during the night, as in when falling off to sleep or waking in the morning. This morning something suddenly hit me about this thread. I was not thinking about fish particularly, but suddenly the photo of that pink foam came into my mind and your comments, and I remembered the initial sudden fish deaths.

Clearly there is something in the water, and I think we have checked most of the usual culprits. Two issues now stand out. First is this pink foam from the plants and the decay of the plant and its smell you mentioned. Can you post a photo of this plant, if any of it is left? Is it a true aquatic? Some plants are highly toxic, and some non-aquatic species can be lethal if they release the substance into the water. Where did this plant come from?

Second issue I now noticed is the filtering of your water. Do you mean by a household softener or similar filter? These can be dangerous because they use salts to soften, or whatever. Let us know more about this aspect.

Still post the video if you can, it may clue us in to something.

Byron.

Lee567

AC Members
Apr 10, 2014
I got the fish Thursday. The snail problem is gone. The fish adjusted well. The ammonia went up a little it's a yellower green so it's bellow .25 but that's the only thing that has raised. I threw the plant out last week. The plants came from a mom and pop store. I can't get a video up.

i believe that the first batch of guppies had a disease possibly cause these have adjusted quite well.

is it safe to add more fish? It's almost been a week.

I was thinking 2 or 3 catfish and 4 or 5 tetras

Lee567

AC Members
Apr 10, 2014
I woke up this morning and there gills where a little red. I believe this is from the ammonia. So I washed out the filter. And I'll do a 20% water change when I get home tonight. I didn't have enough time to do it this morning. Should I get bottom feeders today? The tank has been running around 5 weeks now

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
I woke up this morning and there gills where a little red. I believe this is from the ammonia. So I washed out the filter. And I'll do a 20% water change when I get home tonight. I didn't have enough time to do it this morning. Should I get bottom feeders today? The tank has been running around 5 weeks now
No. Red gills is a sign of trouble. Until the cause of this is absolutely determined I would not add any fish.

Are they respirating fast? Are they sort of hanging at the surface, or gulping air?

What exactly is in this tank? Live plants left, decor, type of substrate, wood rock, etc? Years ago my fish in one tank began acting odd, then slowly dying; it turned out to be something toxic leeching from one piece of wood. All possibles have to be examined, and there seems to be something in this tank that is bothering the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store