Finally...Altums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ExReefer

Registered Member
Oct 26, 2011
any updates?
Not sure who you were asking. Six out of my eight are doing very well. The two smallest ones died. I've have them completely acclimated to my tap water as well.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Hi Rach
yes.. I still have 6 of the 7..most are growing like weeds.. one is smallish..weird thing.. it eats plenty..and they have been debugged twice. the little one is pleny active and very quick...wasn't blessed with great finnage...but it's spunky and I admire that in the little one.
it and one more usually greet me when I come in and usually don't run when doing water changes.. which are still daily.
I still keep the pH very acidic..and will wait to slowly move them to a pH nearer my normal tap pH of 6.8
I've added some more wood to the tank..they definitely like the structure..I added some manzanita to it this weekend (after a long soak in acidic water.)

the biggest is between quarter and 50 cent sized ..they color up very nicely and are starting to develop the Altum Beak..
I'm still looking for a larger tank currently looking at a 60 but hoping for a 125 to give them more cruising room..still shooting for a sand bottom.. with only leaf litter and wood branches in the tank.. I already have much of the wood I will use.
I'll try to get pics taken.. but they don't like the camera.

exreefer..glad to hear you did as well as you did..with yours..I know a few experienced keepers that didn't fare as well

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Star- I took about 5 months to move my altums over from the initial 50/50 tap/distilled mix to 100% tap. They have been living happily in straight tap now for about 16 months. I will confess that my tap water has about a 7.1 pH and tds that range from a low of 60 to a high of 85 ppm. These fish never had any serious tannins in their water but I do dose Kent Black Water Expert every wc. I have also only ever given them weeklies.

Unfirtunately, I had awful luck with the Atabapos :(

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Thanks for the info TTA

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store