Betta Bowl...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougie

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
NY
Hi. My friend has a 1 gallon bowl with a single male betta in it. Is there anything he can put in with it? I was thinking a snail or shrimp...any thoughts?

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
a betta really should not be maintained in a bowl and certainly nothing can be put in there with it. a betta, like any other fish, should have a tank with heater and filter. it may 'survive' in a bowl swimming in its own waste, but it will THRIVE in a filtered tank.

phaedraeos

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
Boston, MA
I had success with a mystery snail in a betta bowl . . . then the bowl became a 10 gallon tank . . . then a 35 gallon . . . then a 50 gallon and a 35 gallon . . .

dougie

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
NY
so a snail can be put with the betta. As in, it will survive. BTW my friend does two 100% water changes per week and his bowl is clean.

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
While I don't agree with the whole 'bettas need a whole 10-g to themselves!!' campaign and I kept mine in smaller unfiltered, unheated cubicles and they thrived for years (with regular water changes and the addition of blackwater extract to their conditioned water), I would agree that a nice 2.5 or 5 gallon set-up would work nicely with a betta... plus, you could add in a few more fish with him to give him some company. Can't lose with that, right? ^_^

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
so a snail can be put with the betta. As in, it will survive. BTW my friend does two 100% water changes per week and his bowl is clean.
The snail would probably need aeration and filtration... and I've heard of curious bettas nipping their eyestalks off, but I don't know how often that occurs....

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
I seriosuly wouldn't reccomend anything for a bowol other than the betta you have in there now, and ever then it's not the best setup.

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
While I don't agree with the whole 'bettas need a whole 10-g to themselves!!' campaign and I kept mine in smaller unfiltered, unheated cubicles and they thrived for years (with regular water changes and the addition of blackwater extract to their conditioned water), I would agree that a nice 2.5 or 5 gallon set-up would work nicely with a betta... plus, you could add in a few more fish with him to give him some company. Can't lose with that, right? ^_^
I do agree with this, although it its only a little bit more then a minibow 2.5, unless there is some cheaper brand
I bought my friend a minibow 2.5 for like 30 bucks but later i bought myself a 10 gallon from walmart for ten bucks, and ive had better perfomence out of the products from my ten gallon kit

dougie

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
NY
having another female betta wouldnt work, right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store