Read This Post Before Getting Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dragongoby

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2007
Yes it's true that there are uncaring people in some of the chain stores, but don't lump them all together. Workink in one for four years now, I've heard more nonsense from uncaring customers who just want their fish now, who cares what its needs are. Too many fish for that tank-survival of the fittest. That fish gets too big for your tank-I'll just toss them in the lake. You shouldn't add that many fish at once-I don't want my tank to look empty.
these are the kind of things I here everyday. Meanwhile the experts at the LFS tell people things like "Convicts always eat their fry because they are related to pirahna"
Was told this was a perfectly exceptable stocking level-2 oscars,1 JD,3 tinfoils,2 jurapari,i shovelnose,1 clownknife,1 ghostknife,1 black shark,1 fire eel,1 tiretrack eel,1 pacu, and a pleco, in a 115 gallon tank with undergravel filters and no water changes.

Sorry to rant but it get tiresome hearing all the hobby's ills being blamed on the chain stores.

Dakotagirl

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
North Dakota
I think any place that sells fish should have a poster that shows the size that some of the bigger fish can get...like Oscars, Pangasius Sharks, Pacu's, etc. Not just a sign, but a picture of the fish full grown. It might help people who really care about the fish they are buying but don't realize how huge some of these fish get (or how fast they grow that big).

It would be a perfect world if everyone just researched a fish before they bought it, but that isn't going to happen and at least a poster showing a picture of a full grown Oscar or Pacu might make someone stop and think twice about purchasing that cute little Oscar who is only 1 1/2 inches long right now.

For some people it wouldn't make a difference I know. They are going to buy what they want no matter what the consequences are, but for a few people it might make a difference.

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
wish i could copy these posts

Wow. I really wish I could copy some of these posts to hand out to some customers. There are so many people who come into the pet store I work at who have no clue what it takes to care for fish or (it seems) common sense when it comes to animals. We try to make it as plain as could be when it comes to basic fish care, both for the customers and for newer employees, and most of the information you would need is right in front of you. For example, every fish has a tag with the temp. requirement, max size of fish, minimum size of tank, and how aggressive the fish generally will be. However we still get the client who just doesn't understand why you can't put an Oscar with a Tetra, or why a comet goldfish (who gets to be 12") can't live in a bowl. I think people also need to realize that you should research the particular fish that you wish to purchase (as you guys have already pointed out, much to my pleasure after a long day at work). A store employee only knows so much about the individual types, and I love when customers come in and teach me new things about a particular type of fish. However, I think the thing that has bugged me the most lately was when I've actually had customers accuse me of lying about fish care. Here's an example of one customer:
"So I want to buy this black moore for my kid"-customer
"OK, and what size is your tank?"-me
"Oh...about this size" (customer holds hands cupped together like a bowl).
"Actually you would need at least a 10G tank to start off the black moore and would need to upgrade your tank shortly as the fish grows. They actually don't live well in bowls and need a good filter system along with good aeration device"-me
"No they don't, you're lying, they can live in bowls just fine"-customer
(btw...the customer did leave the store empty handed after I refused to sell him the poor Black Moore, along with the Oscar...and the Black Ghost Knife...and...)
seriously...some people... I have the same issues with people wanting turtles, but that's another rant.
-Kristi

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
and some people think it is easier to take care of fish HHHAAA! taking care of a fish has just as much responsibility as a dog or cat or bird or horse or pig or turtle etc etc etc they still have to be fed, change the lining of the cage(vacuum out the tank), give them clean drinking water (water changes for cleaner water to swim in), give them baths (except for cats) ( dirty water leads to disease) ( the same as cleaner water to swim in). and the list can go on from here.. fish hobbying is as much as a daily thing as any other animal or mammal. and people need to be made accountable for what they do. too bad i have yet to see an owner being prosecuted for fish abuse on animal cops new york,houston, phoenix, or san fransisco. oh and miami dade animal cops. that would be the best yet. because we know everyday about abused and neglected animals. what about mammals and fishies.......:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused:

Mar 29, 2007
yah and taking care of fish can prove to be more expensive than a dog and stuff

batski

AC Members
Oct 22, 2004
Gothenburg, Sweden
Fishes are definitely more frail than mammals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store