walmart puffer--I want some!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nava2468

Registered Member
Apr 30, 2007
Hello all. It appears that there is some confusion as to what species of puffer Wal-Mart carries and as to what type of water (fresh or brackish) the “green spotted puffer” needs. There are three types that are very similar. Tetraodon Schoutedeni, Tetraodon fluviatilis, and Tetraodon nigroviridis. The problem is that Wal-Mart does not identify their fish by the definitive Latin name. But they can be discerned by the shape and some tell tale spines on the belly of the fish. The T. Schoutedeni (aka: spotted Congo Puffer, has a “club-like” shape to its body. In addition, it is the only one with two backward pointing spines on its belly. Its not a green as the other two and has kind of brownish background to its spots. The T. fluviatilis (green Puffer) has a more torpedo shape to its body, longer sloping head and back region. Kind of elongated. The T. nigroviridis (spotted green puffer) this is the most common one to be assumed as the fish in Wal-Mart , is pretty much spherical, like a globe or balloon. And it tends to have smaller dots. In that the t. Schoutedeni is purely a freshwater fish from the Congo River, that forms the Malebo pool (formerly Stanley Pool) near its terminus. Give it no more salt than any other freshwater fish, or it will die. I have killed my share (one) due to this confusion. Good luck to you all…….

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Amazing fish if you decide to get him... eat from your hand, come to tank to greet you, have great personalities.
Obey the salinity rules, keep all levels in check, and feed him hardshelled foods at least a couple of times a week and you;ll be ok.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
mine has them too As well as PEACOCK EELS!!!!!!!!! crazy never be the day that wally world would sell puffers and eels. whats next SW?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Hello all. It appears that there is some confusion as to what species of puffer Wal-Mart carries and as to what type of water (fresh or brackish) the “green spotted puffer” needs. There are three types that are very similar. Tetraodon Schoutedeni, Tetraodon fluviatilis, and Tetraodon nigroviridis. The problem is that Wal-Mart does not identify their fish by the definitive Latin name. But they can be discerned by the shape and some tell tale spines on the belly of the fish. The T. Schoutedeni (aka: spotted Congo Puffer, has a “club-like” shape to its body. In addition, it is the only one with two backward pointing spines on its belly. Its not a green as the other two and has kind of brownish background to its spots. The T. fluviatilis (green Puffer) has a more torpedo shape to its body, longer sloping head and back region. Kind of elongated. The T. nigroviridis (spotted green puffer) this is the most common one to be assumed as the fish in Wal-Mart , is pretty much spherical, like a globe or balloon. And it tends to have smaller dots. In that the t. Schoutedeni is purely a freshwater fish from the Congo River, that forms the Malebo pool (formerly Stanley Pool) near its terminus. Give it no more salt than any other freshwater fish, or it will die. I have killed my share (one) due to this confusion. Good luck to you all…….
The T schoutedeni has not been available in the US aquarium trade for over 20 years, so you can be sure they aren't that species. The T fluviatilis (Ceylon puffer), looks more like the T biocellatus (Figure 8) than the T nigriviridis (GSP). It only has spotts on it's belly. Very distinguishable. If you're getting this info from Puffernet, that site has a lot of misinformation (especially on ID) & hasn'e been updated in over 10 years.

T fluviatilis:

Last edited:

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
My walmart sells glass cats, golfball goldfish, and dragon gobys (brackish) and labels them all as freshwater tropicals... all but the goldie usually die.

They also sell Mondo Grass Plant as an aquatic plant. I should give them a flower and tell them its a new species of aquatic plant.

fishlover420

AC Members
Dec 16, 2006
BUY THEM to SAVE THEM

I had bought my GSP from walmart. I knew nothing about them til it was too late, I fell in love with him. But he fin nipped all my other fish. Like i said i knew nothing. Believe me i was on the internet researching them babies when i seen what was going on. HOLY COW, i learned alot and still learning alot. He is now 9 months old since i have had him or her dunno. I put him in my community tank with my other fish. That was a mistake. So he has a 29 gal all to himself and he has lived in freshwater since i got him and seems to do just fine. He eats blood worms, krill, snails, ghost shrimp, and he dont like squid. This fish is like a person child to me he has the coolest personality and the cutest face in the world. The research on these things are impecable lots and lots of reading but it is worth every minute. He was in a 10 gal for a few months til we moved and got the bigger tank now that we are settled. He is lovin it. Swims all over like u can see the smile on his face. Now that i know all about walmart fish and how they treat them i BUY THEM TO SAVE THEM.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
You can't save all of them though & as long as we keep "rescuing" them from poor conditions at places like Walmart, they will continue to buy more.

Your puffer belongs in brackish water. If you really love that lil fella, you'll want him to love a long, healthy life. BW fish kept in FW have lowered immune systems, stunted growth & shorter lifespans.

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum...cus/an-introduction-to-green-spotted-puffers/

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I had bought my GSP from walmart. I knew nothing about them til it was too late, I fell in love with him. But he fin nipped all my other fish. Like i said i knew nothing. Believe me i was on the internet researching them babies when i seen what was going on. HOLY COW, i learned alot and still learning alot. He is now 9 months old since i have had him or her dunno. I put him in my community tank with my other fish. That was a mistake. So he has a 29 gal all to himself and he has lived in freshwater since i got him and seems to do just fine. He eats blood worms, krill, snails, ghost shrimp, and he dont like squid. This fish is like a person child to me he has the coolest personality and the cutest face in the world. The research on these things are impecable lots and lots of reading but it is worth every minute. He was in a 10 gal for a few months til we moved and got the bigger tank now that we are settled. He is lovin it. Swims all over like u can see the smile on his face. Now that i know all about walmart fish and how they treat them i BUY THEM TO SAVE THEM.
my g/f and I have bought many of wallmart female bettas to rescue they currently reside in my 29G tank. I would say its a catch 22 you want to save the fish so you buy them thus giving wally world more money so they can order more and thus the cycle begin again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store