English English & American English

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
dougall said:
In a slightly related note.. I'm wondering what our American friends would make of English Kid's TV from decades past..
Some channel probably has it playing somewhere.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
DansMarineTank said:
Maybee if i get some pictures together you guys can name them in american?
We call the bit at the front, under which the engine is housed, a bonnet. ... ...
If cars had "windscreens" some wind would get by, and I'd expect some rain too.. A "windshield" is more appropriate to describe the large piece of glass at the front of automobiles. And whoever heard of "windscreen wipers"?

:D

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yeah...

Imagine my suprise when I saw This On the shelf in a bookstore for the first time...

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
P*ssed is another word they use for drunk.

Randy...I like that one as well. ;)

Oh gosh, there's so many and right now I can't think of one.

Well, once I called cattlegrid (here) a prat. I didn't realize I actually insulted him. Felt so bad. We cleared it up and I removed the word from my comment.

Tellie (or is it telly).

Cinema instead of theater.

Blimey.

That's just the dog's bollocks.

Oh, so many more.

Last edited:

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
125gJoe said:
If cars had "windscreens" some wind would get by, and I'd expect some rain too.. A "windshield" is more appropriate to describe the large piece of glass at the front of automobiles. And whoever heard of "windscreen wipers"?

:D

I deal with "shield" vs "screen" in cables too. Americans like to call a cable shielded, English call the same cable screened. For me, a screen is something over a door or window to keep the bugs out.

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Drive to the second robot past the Lori stop and make a right. When you get to my flat take the lift to the second floor. I will meet you next to the Loo where we can go and eat some scones and maybe some chips.

Drive to the second traffic light past the Truck stop and make a right. When you get to my apartment take the elevator to the second floor. I will meet you next to the bathroom where we can go and eat some biscuits and maybe some french fries.

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
In Scotland we use steamboats or steaming to mean drunk. Also blotto, paraletic, rocketzed.

Slang words are used....

hoose = house
moose = mouse
aboot = about
toon = town
foond = found
moontin = mountain
yin = one
twa = two
gaun = going
tae = to
nae = no
isnae = isn't
diznae = doesn't

Using moose instead of mouse causes confusion. I was once telling some workmates about the time I rescued a moose from my cat. I prized the cats jaws open to get the moose and then the moose bit me. I dropped it and the cat ran away with it :rolleyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store