Prickly Sculpin Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I haven't been on here in quite awhile, and I'm glad to see your sculpin is still doing well! So big, and your tank looks great. :)

It's funny how personable these fish get, since in pics they look pretty non-interactive. Ours learned to recognize us and would swim at the front of the tank when we came near, and hop up on our hand voluntarily.
He also took to eating pellets more than anything else. He was still a bit interested in live fish, but he was too lazy and impatient to ambush them anymore, so he'd just swim up to them and scare them off, then give up, lol. Pretty smart though if you ask me. Why should they waste energy hunting if you're gonna drop pellets in their mouth? :p

Thank you very much...i am so devoted to this little beast she is the reason i now have 140 gallons in my bedroom and that is not all of my tanks..i have 7 up in all.
..and i have the same problem with not eating much live any more she has grown so lazy and just begs for pellets now...its amusing. but she still likes clouds of young convicts because they don't run away they just sorta hover and she sucks them in!..she has tank mates now.. 1 large golden wonder killifish and one larger female killifish. as well as a single male guppy that has been in the tank for about 5 months when he was tiny..she just never has eaten him.

crazy love for this fish^_^

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Holy bajesus she is gettinnnnn ffffaaaaatttttt!!!!
..she is..and is almost refusing live now...other than clouds of 1/3 inch convict fry ..they just hover in front of her face till she sucks them in.

mudskipper10

Sharkie
Jan 24, 2011
Can they live in large (20 feetish across) slow streams? It's very rocky and about 65f in summer and50 in winter ( just geusses)

Last edited:

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Can they live in large (20 feetish across) slow streams? It's very rocky and about 65f in summer and50 in winter ( just geusses)

yes definitely, but unless you have a chiller i would recommend collecting them at the hottest part of the summer in a rocky lake shore, and as small as you can get them.
They do not transition well from creek to tank , creeks are high flow cool even in summer and tons of oxygen(but it might work with a slow stream). Mine was collected in less than 6 inches of water in a lake around a boat launch, the water was very warm. Every time i tried to collect from streams they never made it long in the tank...this big girl is going strong after over two years from 1/4 inch to 7! ^_^

cool water nothing over 75o lots of oxygen lots of clean water!
DSC06998.JPG

DSC06998.JPG

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
ook!..fine this is over due...Ill get more soon.

she now is so lazy she only hunts pellets..refuses live foods anymore..will eat worms once in a while if they are not wiggling to much..crazy fish.

she is still just over 7 inches fat and her grumpy self always begging for pellets when im close the tank.

she is now in a 29g with a Fluval c4 40-70 filter..keeps the water amazingly clear!..and with the tank the bottom of my wrack i built it stays around 60o never reaching over 65o this summer.

these were taken last night a she was "hunting" pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store