E-Cigarette Vapor and Your fish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Has anyone ever wondered if the second hand vapor from an e-cigarette is harmful to fish tanks if used in the same room? Since it is mainly water vapor with chemical additives, wouldn't it be realistic to expect it to turn back into toxic water droplets when it comes into contact with the water?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
The most toxic potential tank contaminant(1) would be the formaldehyde byproduct of the nicotine and flavoring carrying solvents after heating, and the solvents themselves are irritants. There is also the issue that nicotine has an effect on the development of human children and teens brains(2), which leads me to consider caution because a lot of fish available to buy are juvenile or at least sub adult.

The consensus from what I have just read is that it is perhaps better than regular cigarettes as far as risk, but still not safe.

1. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/health-risks-e-cigarettes-emerge

2. http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/electronic-cigarettes?page=2

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Maybe an article should be written up about this since vaping is all the rage nowadays. No, I'm not volunteering to do that, lol.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
better to use ecigs then reg ones.... my lungs thanks you as well.....
Actually my pulmonologist says she would rather see a person smoke regular cigs than ecigs. She says since people do not use them as intended they actually cause more damage than regular cigs do.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
Actually my pulmonologist says she would rather see a person smoke regular cigs than ecigs. She says since people do not use them as intended they actually cause more damage than regular cigs do.
i said my lungs not theirs lol doesnt cause me to gasp for air when someone has a ecig.... plus it doesnt make people smell like smoke as well.....

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
well pretty soon they will be old and something new will come along.agree with me or dont agree with me.i dont care,it happens to everything.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I smoke a drag or two, once a week, when on my last day of work. It scratches up my throat so bad that I'm considering getting a good juice and vape for that one moment when I actually want to light one up. A cig, I mean. Good topic! Not one I would have thought of, normally.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i knew this thread was gonna happen sometime,just thought it would be in a few years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store