FEEDING AMOUNT IS IT ENOUGH? Feedback appreciated please.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
In my 36 gallon corner bow I have 5 melanistus cories, 7 rasboras, 5 golden danios & 6 bleeding heart tetras. I have been slowly restocking my tank and in a few more weeks will almost be done. This tank has been up and cycled a long time. My brother inlaw also has cories & a variety of freshwater fish. He told me he feeds his fish every other day a variety of fish food and atleast 2x per week feeds algae wafers at night when the tank light is off so that the cories get this type of nutrition and also the other fish can feed off the wafers as well. Does this sound ok? every other day I switch off & give tropical flake food, brine shrimp or blood worms. But on the days I feed the algae wafers that is all I feed and I do it at night. I have 1 more melanistus corie 1 rasbora and 6 cherry barbs in QT that will be added to the 36 gallon in a few weeks should I add one more algae wafer to the tank when those fish go in on the days I feed it that would be 3 wafers to the 36 gallon. I just don't want to overfeed I give two as the moment. I just want to make sure all the fish are getting enough nutrition. My broinlaw told me that an experienced fish person told him that hungry fish are healthy fish and it seems to work for him feeding his fish this way. I just want to make sure that it also works for me too lol.:1zhelp:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
It is somewhat dependant upon the age of the fish, and the species. Young fish that are developing most should have more food available, thus daily or sometimes as with fry several times a day. Mature fish can be fed less often. Smaller fish (meaning the fish species is physically a small fish rather than a large fish at maturity) need more frequent feedings because they can eat much less at a time.

I would feed every day, given the fish species you mention, but there is no harm in missing a day or two a week. I never feed on water change day, not before anyway, as you do not want to be feeding just before (or for a while after) you start messing around their habitat.

Byron.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I tend to overfeed because I have a heck of a cleanup crew in my tanks. Most of the pellets and wafers that hit the bottom are cleared within three hours and no one looks super fat.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok so finally today the last of the fish species are going into the 36 gallon tank 6 cherry barbs 1 harlequin rasbora and 1 melanistius corie. On the days I feed the algae wafers and I do so at night I want to make sure that all the fish are getting enough I realize that not all the fish I have in the tank are bottom feeders I broke up 4 wafers into small pieces and scattered them all over the tank in the morning I did not see anything left on the bottom. Once these other fish go into the tank today I will have a total of 31 fish and finally the tank is restocked. :dance:I had some fish die off in the past from one thing or another I could never actually pinpoint the cause I am awful at diagnosing fish disease it never seemed to be anything major and for all I know it could have been just old age who knows but so far all new inhabitants are doing fine. Crossing my fingers. Should I continue putting in 4 algae wafers will that be enough to feed 31 fish 6 of which are bottom feeders? I just want to make sure that I am not underfeeding. I do alternate what I feed the fish they get tropical fish flakes, brine shrimp, freezedried blood worms and algae wafers I was told offering variety is good.

Last edited:

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Anyone else with any feedback as far as amount of algae wafers to feed I just don't want to overfeed a couple of days ago I broke up 4 wafers into small pieces and they were pretty much gone. Want to make sure am doing the right thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store