WILL I BE OVERSTOCKED....NEED SOME ADVISE RESTOCKING 36 GALLON CORNER BOW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok so far so good right now I have 6 bleeding heart tetras and 5 danios all healthy went through the QT period without a problem and are very happily schooling in my 36 gallon which has been cycled for quite some time :). I have 8 harlequin rasboras in my 10 gallon QT and in 3 more weeks they will be ready to also be added to my 36 gallon as long as no problems occur.

I would like to QT & then add 6 cories next am thinking of going with the the gold green type of corie I can't remember the name right now. I have had albinos in the past but wanted to try another type. The last species of fish I was going to add if I can get them would be cherry barbs atleast 4-6 but am I pushing it? I went to my local fish store and they told me those fish are not on their list but everyone is asking about them so they would order them I read they are a very hardy pretty fish. Petco has them but I am leary about buying fish from that store have heard all their aquariums run on one line so if one tank is diseased the others get it too which does not thrill me.

Will I be overstocked? Besides cherry or gold barbs any other ideas? I want to keep an nice peaceful colorful community tank. I want to get one more danio so I have 6 and they will all be paired off. Any advise would be appreciated thanks!

Last edited:

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Are you good about water changes? do you have interest and more importantly, the lighting for plants? Plants will give you a lot of leeway on stocking.

If you stick with your plan and introduce them slowly you'll be fine. If you commit to regular maintenance you will be okay. If you're schedule is demanding, skip the cherries. Not becasue 4 will overstock your tank, but because they should be in larger schools. If you want 4- try to get all males. they are very pretty bright red. The females are more a pale rust, and if you have a small school the males will constantly chase the girls - its fine in a big school, but in smaller groups the boys just harass the girls

Im assuming you have one of the small danio species? Do you have giant danios or one of the little varieties- like the zebra or leopard varieties? If you have the big ones.... that's a different story

Corries are really cute in big schools- more than 5- they're adorable, friendly and active. They're frightened when they're not in big schools- You'll never see them if you only get one or two. If stocking is an issue stick to fewer larger schools. You fish will be happier and more interactive.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
The stocking level regarding the cories, which are bottom fish and generally won't factor into the lives of the rest of the tank much, is filtration and water change capacity related. If you have the filtration and are willing to do the proper number of water changes than you can probably house them without issue. Cories are definitely worth the work I think.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Thanks for the replies :) Yes I do water changes every two weeks with gravel vac religiously on all my tanks. All new schools of fish will be added monthly until fully stocked nice and slow. Originally I only had one bleeding heart tetra in the tank I lost fish overtime and got lazy restocking so it was time. As far as plants I have no idea how to keep a planted tank right now my parameters are perfect so I am leary about changing what I have right now. I have artificial plants in the tank. Cories I definitely want to get atleast six. I have the smaller danio variety I think they are a greyish silver color with a gold & black stripe on their side. As far as the cherry barbs all depends if the store gets them in but if they don't I need another fish species with color. I have already had rainbows, bolivian rams, gouramie, neons in the past. I was wondering if the black phantom tetra would be a good choice atleast 6. So many choices not sure what to pick.Filtration system is a marineland Penguin 200.

Last edited:

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I have a single black phantom in with a bunch of rosy tetras and they are decently boisterous. Great looking fish though...awesome.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I do water changes and gravel vac every 2 weeks on all my tanks. I want to pick some fish with color that I have not had before will see if the fish store has the cherry barbs if not I may go with either serpae tetras or possible black phantom tetras. The cories definitely are a must have. Thanks for the advise from all very much appreciated :).

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I do water changes and gravel vac every 2 weeks on all my tanks. I want to pick some fish with color that I have not had before will see if the fish store has the cherry barbs if not I may go with either serpae tetras or possible black phantom tetras. The cories definitely are a must have. Thanks for the advise from all very much appreciated :).
This is only a 36g, so further fish have to be carefully thought out. I would not recommend Serpae Tetra here; this fish (Hyphessobrycon eques) is notorious as a fin nipper. This can be alleviated (usually but not always) by having a larger group, say 10+, and in a 30g tank on their own. And in much larger tanks with other suitable fish. But adding a few in a 36g is a real risk.

A group of 7-8 Black Phantoms (Hyphessobrycon magalopterus) would be OK, though you said you wanted colour and this is not all that "colourful" depending upon one's viewpoint. I happen to like this species very much; I have it in with Bleeding Hearts and Rosy Tetra.

I would up your water changes to weekly rather than every two weeks. The fish will thank you.

Byron.

Dredgesclone

AC Members
Nov 19, 2008
Milford MI 48381
I'm no expert but I would argue that that's too many for my tastes at least long term.

Bleeding Hearts are a larger type of Tetra and get pretty big and full bodied, same with Rosy Barbs.
I probably would'nt do both in there for that reason alone.

Also the corries you discribed will be exactly like your albinos, just not albinos..... migjt want to try a differnt species like a spotted type

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store