Illegal Fish Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
Amazing to me that in AZ, blind cave tetras are banned, because "they could survive in native waters," but so can a good lot of fish sold in pet stores, like common plecos, goldfish, oscars, etc.

L021

AC Members
Jul 14, 2009
In Canada, which has the most Fresh Water in the world, only channa, carp and round gobies are illegal. Ain't life funny?

Mother Yoda

is needing advice
Feb 11, 2007
Midwestern United States
(P) Candiru Catfish (family Trichomycteridae, all species)
OMG who in their right mind would want one of these? this is a parasitic fish that will swim up your urethra or any other opening it can get into
Diddo!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Humans are an opportunistic food source for these fish as they're attracted by the ammonia excreted from the gills of other fish. It just so happens that we excrete ammonia from our urethras. A friends neighbor has a larger member of the family. He feeds it large goldfish which it swims up to, darts under a gill cover and attaches to the gills to suck blood, which is the normal food of these fish. It's actually pretty interesting to watch.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Humans are an opportunistic food source for these fish as they're attracted by the ammonia excreted from the gills of other fish. It just so happens that we excrete ammonia from our urethras. A friends neighbor has a larger member
Wow what a bad place for the page break to split the sentence when talking about Candiru! ;) Of course- that has a lot to do with the size of my IE window... but still! Wow... just wow!

Knox_RBP

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Not seeing much for Tennessee in here. I know snakeheads are. It's on the TWRA site somewhere. will find link later. I have yet to find an actualm "list" of illegal fish for TN tho...

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Are reedfish (Erpetoichthys calabaricus) illegal in FL?
It's not on the list.

Prohibited Fish

Electric Catfish
African Tigerfish
Airbreathing Catfish
Parasitic Catfish
Electric Eel
Lampreys
Piranha
Snakeheads
Tilapias
Trahiras
Airsac Catfish
Green Sunfish
Australian Crayfish
Zebra Mussel
Mitten Crab

Restricted fish

Bighead Carp
Bony-tongue fish
Dorados
FW stingrays
Grass Carp
Nile Perches
Silver Carp
Snail/Black Carp
Tilapia
Walking Catfish
Redclaw Crayfish
Blue Catfish
Red Swamp Crayfish

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
It's not on the list.
So does that mean ACFs aren't illegal in FL? They weren't on the list but I thought I heard somewhere that ACFs were illegal here (but apparently ADFs aren't, so I cant see why they would be)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
You could have asked the person whom you heard from to confirm if ACFs are indeed illegal perhaps by showing you an updated list. Maybe ask the local agency even. ACFs are predatory species. ADFs are not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store