Guppy science fair project?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I'm curious as to what your actual experiment is, it doesn't sound like your actually testing something out.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Sorry for not going out and stating what we are testing. We are still deciding what to test, but I think we are either going for what type of food causes fastest growth, or does a mixed diet of food cause a fast growth (2 different experiments). Does that help any?

fishndude

Keep the cat out the fish tank
Mar 21, 2010
Nashville,tennessee
I think it a fine idea as long as you care for the fish. Guppys don't have to have a heater in the water. I know a friend that had some that lived out side all year long.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
You should definitely try different brands of flake, try to have 3 fish on each food, that way you can kinda discount external variables

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
The biggest question I am asking is how is the setup? Is a 2.5 gallon container for each fish with a DIY spong filter good enough? Also, is it possible to use an even smaller container? I am willing to do very frequent water changes.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
How long would they be in the tanks for, and why not just get a larger tank and divide it? You could keep up water quality, and it wouldn't neccesarily ruin the experiment if they cannot compete for food. Just set up sponge filters in each section, that way each compartment is equally filtered, and you get the benefit of having more water to work with. Lastly, get one of those fish food "rings" so that food doesn't float into the other compartments, so that everyone gets the same amount of food.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I am actually thinking of that right now. The only problem is I only have a spare 10g, and I am going to need to house a good number of fish.

Alwaysusa

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
How about asking an LFS or big box store (Petco,Walmart, Petsmart etc) to help? They could potentially give you the following:

Long divided display tank (one lot of water, easily divisble, more stable, easier to manage).

Consistent water parameters so any changes in the fish can be attributed to controlled changes and not an individual tank getting a biological crash.

The fish themselves.

The food.

Pre-cycled filter media to get the tanks up and running quickly.

I'm not sure if the Science fair allows sponsorship, but it would potentially give you the equipment needed to make this more precise and more humane.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I have no short supply of pre-cycled filter media. If I wanted, I could just run some of the sponge filters in my cichlid tank for a week and it should be filled with bacteria. I am a bit hesitant about asking a fish store to sponser me though. Hopefully AwesomeM96 posts here soon, because he is my partner for this project.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store