Fish are disappearing, please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Ok so have you tested ammonia in the tank? Seeing as your tank levels are similar to your tap it could be that you are not really "cycled". If your tank is properly cycled it should be able to deal with .5 nitrite from the tap pretty quickly. When you clean the filter are you washing it in the sink and possibly killing the bacteria with the chlorine from the tap?

I still thing some pictures would help maybe figure out whats wrong. I would say, in the future, base your water change schedule on your nitrate levels.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
You mentioned "wild guppies". Do you happen to know the species? I have gambusia, and they can be nippy and aggressive - which can cause stress for the other fish. Stressed fish are more prone to getting sick. Stress usually doesn't affect water quality, but poor water quality can cause stress.

Also, I'd recommend a master test kit over test strips (which is a recommendation I've seen from several members). It will give you a more accurate reading.

As to vanishing fish, I've had that problem too. Snails will make quick work of a dead fish, as will other fish and scavengers. Snails are not necessarily bad - they may not be effective on algae, but they do clean up uneaten food.

The most common recommendations I see posted everywhere on this site are regular testing and weekly water changes (usually 25%).

Someone mentioned kids and cats, and I have to comment on this. I was out running errands with a friend who left her 13 year old daughter and 7 year old son alone in my house. While the daughter *should have* known better, she's a lazy snotty drama queen who resents watching her little brother, so she parked her substantial butt in front of the TV and ignored her little brother - who ran rampant through the house. I got home to find he'd been in every one of my fish tanks, trying to play with, pet, and hold my fish. (He'd also moved my "cricket" tank - which really houses a scorpion - while trying to open it to play with the crickets. This was in my bedroom, which both children were instructed to stay out of.)

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
You can add photos to a post by clicking the Go Advanced button on post reply. Then, click on Manage Attachments. Then click on Add Files to upload photos from your computer pics to the thread. Or, like sf said, you can host your photos on a site like photobucket and link them to your post with the img code.

Mark

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Does the iPhone have the same interface as an iPad? If so, there are a series of icons above the Quick Reply text box. The set on the far right has the options for attachments, with one resembling a picture (of a tree). Tapping on it will pull up a box to insert a picture, and you can choose from your computer (which is my iPad) or choose a URL. I usually have to try this several times before the image will upload.

Sorry if this doesn't help. I don't have an iPhone, and my Droid is a PITA for anything other than being a temperamental cell phone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store