i wanna make my puffer marine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Mangroves (assuming Red, since the others don't do well in aquariums) can grow in just about any water level. Just don't shock them with salinity changes. They seem to handle rapid downwards shifts in salinity much better. They can be difficult to balance, since they are very sensitive when young and massive house-sized trees when older. With a young mangrove; avoid shocking it with constant changes in salinity, avoid damage to the leaves, do not damage the roots, and do not damage the growth tip. They just don't recover well when seedlings. You will eventually need to prune the growth tip and branches (they grow very big otherwise), but doing so too early tends to kill the plant. Spray the leaves every couple days to help wash salt off. Make sure it has enough magnesium otherwise it may lose the ability to remove salt.

They are pretty neat plants, but don't expect them to clean the water much. They are rather slow growing. Nice as a decoration or part of the tank environment, but not much of a natural filter like FW plants or SW macroalgaes.

Not sure why everyone knocked Piranha86's idea so badly. It was entirely right, although cutting the salt amount in half and doubling the time of the transition would have given more of a buffer against mistakes causing a crash. The main risk isn't that the bacteria can't adapt (it isn't the individual bacteria that are adapting, but the entire population as a whole), it's overdoing the mix to the point where they don't get the chance.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Just cycle the tank as FW. You can instantly cycle the tank by adding Safestart to the filter & then immediately add the fish. Do not let the store sell you any other crap bacteria in a bottle! Then just raise the SG as per that article I linked you to. Did you get the tank yet?

FreshwaterQueen

AC Members
Apr 15, 2012
Karma: It is not too hard, I am new to the fish tanking hobby and I have two GSP, two babies. and when I first bought them they were freshwater. I basically just added (around) two tablespoons of salt with each water change, and over time added a little more each week. Both of my puffers are in great health, and eat like pigs. It is not as serious as some make it sound. And doesnt take rocket science. ;] Good Luck!!

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Karma: It is not too hard, I am new to the fish tanking hobby and I have two GSP, two babies. and when I first bought them they were freshwater. I basically just added (around) two tablespoons of salt with each water change, and over time added a little more each week. Both of my puffers are in great health, and eat like pigs. It is not as serious as some make it sound. And doesnt take rocket science. ;] Good Luck!!
What kind of salt are you using and what is your salinity?

Rachel Cherie

AC Members
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX
I can't believe your GSP has held on this long in just freshwater! You don't need to go full marine so fast though! GSPs start life near fresh water. They live, generally where freshwater and saltwater meet. Over their lifetime (which can be up to 15 years!) they move to full marine. With each water change I would just add a little bit of marine salt. It doesn't have to be much. But switching to a bio-filter will make the transition fairly seamless. Mine is about a year old right now and I keep the Sg around 1.010. In a brackish environment, you have a LOT more flexibility with salinity vs a salt water environment. Its ok if it fluctuates each water change, and can in fact be healthy (since in the wild they go back and forth between them). Just nothing huge! I hope this helps, and if you want more info let me know. Im a research junkie and have tons of articles about them!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store