Invertebrates which are "NOT" Reef Safe

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tongareefer34

AC Members
Jul 9, 2005
YES emerald crabs are NOT REEF SAFE!!! I ONLY TRUST 3 OR 4 HERMITS LIKE BLUE LEG, RED LRG,SCARLET AND LEFT HANDED ZEBRA,,,,

BBN

Braves on the Warpath
Apr 3, 2003
Marion, Illinois
Visit site
I got rid of my Sally lightfoot. Found my percula in its claws one morning dead. I saw several occasipns when he'd hide under a rock and make a dive at any fish that swam near him.

I've also had problems with larger blue leg hermit crabs killing turbo snails for the shell.

arrow2fast

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2006
Crabs

I have a small crab (not a hermit crab) which came with the live rock. It started to eat my leather coral. I will trap the crab and throw it to my chickens in the yard!!!

Reactions: nickolasb

bigcoupebmw

Shark out of water
Dec 29, 2005
Upstate & Coastal South Carolina
Never had a problem with the emerald crab, but 3 LFS said orange and purple lobster (cant remember name) were reef safe. Not the one I got, he loves eating corals and wasn't picky about which one either. Traded him in for something else.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Blue leg kills my turbos

The larger Blue leg hermits are killers. I have the large Mexican Turbos and when one isn't on the glass, he's fair game for the blue legs. Heard my kids screaming at the tank one day and the blue legs were eating and ripping apart a live Turbo. Looked like fire ants on a carcass carrying parts of the thing back to there homes. Gotta get 'em and send the to the ref.

ddot

U.S. Navy
Nov 14, 2006
little here, little there
Decorator Crab -- Excellent in big tanks, mines in a 55g and he will catch slow fish sometimes, this is a true PIA. Just get fast fish LOL!

denedene

Registered Member
Nov 15, 2006
Hi,
I just wanted to add that the lobster you are referring to is just a plain ol' reef lobster or at least that is what they called it when I bought it. I love this lobster, he doen't bother anything and he is a beautiful orange and purple. For a long time he would hide in the rocks but now he is use to the tank and ME so he will come out and greet me a lot more.

andy1130

AC Members
Nov 10, 2006
Boston
I would have to toss arrow crab on there as a borderline one, did great with all my corals but got territorial with other crabs and shrimp and would go after any type of worm in there, including feather dusters & x-mas tree worms

kjbrat

AC Members
Feb 19, 2007
Sarasota, FL
I just caught my emerald crab yesterday munching on the last of my zoa polyps (the rest of the colony was previously consumed by hermit crabs). Going to have to get rid of this guy too!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store