Why does my angel fish keep eating my other fish!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EndoWL

Registered Member
Aug 19, 2014
my angel fish has eaten 4 of my ohter fish! i put lots of food in the tank! and now i only have a huge angel fish and a snail and a placastumus.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
hi! you could give a lot more info, and it would be a great help. what other fish do you have? what size aquarium? Angel fish can be mean. they will attack other fish. Give us more details so we can help!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Fish eat assuming that food is scarce, so if the opportunity presents itself they will eat. The only time they might not eat is if nothing else will fit at the moment. So if the fish will fit in the angelfish's mouth it could very well get eaten.

Adult Neons are angelfish food in the wild, so anything of similar size or smaller is at risk in an aquarium.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Angel fish are cichlids, I believe. If it will fit in it's mouth, it will eat it !

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
They're cichlids. They're meat eaters, and piscivores (fish eaters). If another fish fits in their mouth, they'll eat it.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
It would be helpful if the OP gave more info about his/her tank and what was in the tank at the time this had happened. I had something like this happen, but my angel only eaten one fish. If an angel is well fed they don't normally eat other fish, but if neons, guppies endlers or any other small fish are kept with them, they are lunch! Keeping larger schooling fish like Rummy-noses, Penguin tetras or larger rasboras like Scissor-tail or Harlequins tend to be a safer bet with large angels. NO FIN NIPPERS!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store