Puritan and Ammonia?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Erin B

AC Members
Dec 10, 2014
I have purchased Puritan and a mesh bag for it from my pet store as they advised me this would bring down my ammonia levels quickly. Is this true? And if so, what do I do I do to prepare it for initial use? The directions only explain how to 'regenerate' it.

Thanks!

Erin B

AC Members
Dec 10, 2014
I am doing large water changes too, but want to do whatever I can to decrease the levels asap!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Erin, like suggested, until you have established a proper nitrogen cycle in your tank, you've got to do water changes to bring the ammonia level down. It's not ideal to get it from a LFS, but can your store give you some well established bio media from one of their filters? Take it home in a fish-bag with water and place it in your filter. If you know someone with a healthy, established tank, it would be better to get it from them. This will supercharge your nitrogen cycle and start the process of converting ammonia to nitrites to nitrates.

If you were near me, I'd give you a sponge bubbler, or a sponge or bio media out of one of my aquaclear filters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store