Mbuna Vacation Pond (PS. Demasoni)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Efors commented first. I actually didn't see anything when I first checked. :huh:
Oh yes jpappy, all the pics were there at the beginning and they disappeared...weird! Maybe the Ghost of Tanganyika, again? :huh:

You are a saint, my good man. It is good to know your kind has not entirely vanished from this evil world. :)
Hmmm... you don't know him well, Xan! The guy is this kind of saint: :Angel:...Believe me. :grinyes:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Oh that dam Tanganyika Ghost i guess we are going to have to call the Ghost Hunters.. Until then here are some more photos of progress..

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Fish will be added when the water warms up to 72 degrees right now its 65 I need a week in the 80's for this to happen but here soon, it takes a month for the Hyacinth to multiply as well..

The DIY filter is the black rubber maid box, inside is a layer of ceramic noodles UGF plate than a large amount of lava rock.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Yeah, I'd like to see the specs, or more direct pictures (or both) of how that filter is set up. Where's the pump, and where's the water-out-of-the-pond hose? How often do you top it off for evaporation?

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sorry i didn't photograph the filter but the specs are that i had a used 38gal rubber maid container lying in the garage i drilled a hole bottom left corner inserted a tube from a old vacuum cleaner silicone it in place, then i drilled a hole in the lid and attached a PVC pipe threw the top part and on the inside i placed an elbow PVC to hold it in place, then i attached the hose with a clamp to the end of PVC pipe to the lid. The hose runs from the lid to the pump which is located on the floor of the pond just below the DIY filter. The plants near the filter is hiding the hose and i have the cord tucked away as well. I painted the box black to blend in originally it was blue..

The pump i am using is an submersible type pond pump couldn't tell you what it is it was given to me by a friend but it is a higher end pump with a high volume of GPH..

As for evaporation usually in the summer months it usually depends on rainfall last year it rained quite a bit so i didn't need to top off any but if we have a dry season usually topped off at about a drop of two inches..

If you look at the second photo above where the black rubber maid filter is you can see the hose running out of the pond and goes up to the lid..

Last edited:

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Man am I green with envy Pitt.That looks great!!!:bowing:

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Fish n chips.. Ethan i hear ya buddy just pullin it out again for a different theme, hey you hit me on facebook with a question do you remember what you wanted i post a comment back to you but you never got back to me.. Did you need something i do still owe you some Multi's..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Go for it Blue threaten to cut off extra activities at home and see how fast he comes around.. LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store