DIY - Root Tabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nilocg

AC Members
May 25, 2010
I think I might just take the terracotta back unless someone can tell me it is ok for sure. I would just hate to cause a problem and lose a couple of hundred in plants and fish.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
So is this recipe in addition to dosing EI?

I have cork screw vals, amozon swords, and java fern.
your vals and swords should love this... and yes it is in addition to any water column ferts. your java fern might just perk up too since they won't be competing with your root feeders also.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I have been soooooo tempted to try this. But my crypts are already growing like wildfire...wonder how they would act with tabs right below them.

<pictures fishies swimming through swinging machete's to the tune of indiana jones>

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Do you think the addition of dried clay pellets in the substrate would be beneficial to the plants much like flourite would? Or would you still get better results adding in the ferts?

Kristinann

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Does the pottery/clay get used up too, or does it get left behind? Since I'm using a light colored PFS, I don't want to eventually have a buildup of red clay in the substrate

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Does the pottery/clay get used up too, or does it get left behind? Since I'm using a light colored PFS, I don't want to eventually have a buildup of red clay in the substrate
That's what's holding me back too. Seems like it would have to break down for the ferts to be released. I suppose vacuuming would get rid of it eventually...There was a link to the benefits of clay in ponds...I'll look

Oops different clay http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230963&highlight=clay

Last edited:

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
i've used it before with black flourite and never noticed it lingering behind. but i've only dosed that tank a couple times. the other one has red flourite so it just kinda blends in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store