DIY LED Moonlight Guide

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Seems worth the $10. Good work.

AcydFlames

Ideas Guy... Sometimes
Sep 23, 2008
just did it with an led strip for a car works good
True. I've seen this done as well, with very decent results. Still potentially a little bit of wiring involved, to convert a 12v cigarette lighter plug to a wall outlet or battery setup, but it does eliminate manually wiring and installing bare LEDs. But then again, it does somewhat eliminate the freedom you have with the placement, brightness, color wavelength and total number of lights. It's all a trade off.

Do you have photos on here somewhere to show off your effect? I'm always interested to see what others have done. Also, what's the cost for something like that? Those strips run you about $10 or $15 bucks, right?

Seems worth the $10. Good work.
That's what I thought!

small-fish

AC Members
Sep 14, 2008
True. I've seen this done as well, with very decent results. Still potentially a little bit of wiring involved, to convert a 12v cigarette lighter plug to a wall outlet or battery setup, but it does eliminate manually wiring and installing bare LEDs. But then again, it does somewhat eliminate the freedom you have with the placement, brightness, color wavelength and total number of lights. It's all a trade off.

Do you have photos on here somewhere to show off your effect? I'm always interested to see what others have done. Also, what's the cost for something like that? Those strips run you about $10 or $15 bucks, right?

That's what I thought!
it cost me nothing since i had parts laying around, wiring is easy since that is what i do all day long but heres a crappy pic taken with my iphone

fts

actual light strip

AcydFlames

Ideas Guy... Sometimes
Sep 23, 2008
it cost me nothing since i had parts laying around, wiring is easy since that is what i do all day long but heres a crappy pic taken with my iphone

That's not bad at all. I like it.

I hate seeing all these moonlight setups with the lights SOOOO bright. I like that yours looks a little dimmer.

small-fish

AC Members
Sep 14, 2008
thanks its actually a little bit brighter than that with an actual 12 volt dc output on it but i lowered it to 7 volt dc so its dimmer

AcydFlames

Ideas Guy... Sometimes
Sep 23, 2008
thanks its actually a little bit brighter than that with an actual 12 volt dc output on it but i lowered it to 7 volt dc so its dimmer
That's exactly how it should be, in my opinion. :thm:

It's not like real moonlight is fluorescent bright. You don't walk outside on a full moon to be bathed in a flood of techno nightclub light. I will admit that I do like the visual look of some of the brighter moonlights, but I think that it just has to have some sort of effect on the fish. And after the dim lights grow on you for a few days, I think you begin to appreciate the subtle hints of light.

Phatboydime

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
This should be in the DIY guide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store