Tiger Barb: Couple Questions in School Size and Odd Behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
You mention black ruby barbs with the Firemouth and similar cichlids...

What other school fish would you recommend? They need to be big bodied enough to not get eaten by polys (just the smaller upper jaws) and not be nippers of course.
As noted in that response of mine that you quoted, look at barbs and danios, and also some of the tetra (characins) can work. Of course, livebearers are another option (as they come from the same region, Mexico) if you have moderately hard water.

I don't usually like suggesting specific fish, as you might end up having "my" aquarium instead of "your" aquarium. When species that are likely to cause trouble are mentioned, I comment. And here I suggested the Black Ruby Barbs only because they do bear a striking similarity to the Tiger Barb but do not carry the nipping. However, with the lone Firemouth, companions will have to be carefully selected...very carefully. As I may have mentioned previously, Firemouths are somewhat timid, and as this is a species that does occur in loose groups, a single fish is going to feel very much "alone." And that means tankmates must not be at all intimidating, or the poor Firemouth will be stressed and that quickly leads to poor health, or increased aggression.

With a 90g, you could have a small group...have you considered that? Then the "dither fish" would perhaps be easier. And the Firemouths would likely be less inclined to be a pest, although spawning would be an issue obviously. I only mention this as I do not know how attached you are to cichlids. I am a dwarf cichlid person when it comes to this group of fish, and after several community setups with various dwarfs, it is not something I find easy to handle. Other fish can get picked on during spawning, and sometimes seriously, even by rather small female apistogramma that can turn more vicious than many would expect.

Byron.

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Yeah it is the spawning I am worried about. Do not really want to deal with it.

I added in 6 Serpaes and it has worked perfectly so far. The serpaes school well but are not int he slightest aggressive. Not quite as fun as the barbs but the colors work.

Firemouth has been all over the tank since I added them. I also added and soon took out a medium Rotkeil... the FM just kept bullying it.

Added a Kribensis instead adn they get along fine. Krib is smaller but takes no **** whatsoever and the relationship seems to be working.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't got into smaller trops in a bit. I'll quit spamming this thread since my original issue is resolved.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Yeah it is the spawning I am worried about. Do not really want to deal with it.

I added in 6 Serpaes and it has worked perfectly so far. The serpaes school well but are not int he slightest aggressive. Not quite as fun as the barbs but the colors work.

Firemouth has been all over the tank since I added them. I also added and soon took out a medium Rotkeil... the FM just kept bullying it.

Added a Kribensis instead adn they get along fine. Krib is smaller but takes no **** whatsoever and the relationship seems to be working.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't got into smaller trops in a bit. I'll quit spamming this thread since my original issue is resolved.
I am sorry to bear more bad news, but Serpae Tetra are also prone to fin nip, and like the Tigers need a larger group to keep it contained or controlled. The Firemouth all over the tank may be a sign that it recognizes trouble around it. Fish release pheromones and allomones into the water, which are chemical "signals" that other fish read, and these too can be very stressful even when no actual physical aggression occurs.

A better choice than Serpae, while retaining basically the same colour would be Rosy Tetra or Roberti Tetra.

Byron.

dbcb314

Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I am sorry to bear more bad news, but Serpae Tetra are also prone to fin nip, and like the Tigers need a larger group to keep it contained or controlled. The Firemouth all over the tank may be a sign that it recognizes trouble around it. Fish release pheromones and allomones into the water, which are chemical "signals" that other fish read, and these too can be very stressful even when no actual physical aggression occurs.

A better choice than Serpae, while retaining basically the same colour would be Rosy Tetra or Roberti Tetra.

Byron.
I have seen zero nipping behavior from them. I plan to up the group to 10-12 but I bought all the LFS had.

The Firemouth is moving around the tank like any other cichlid I have had would. Even though now he has seem to have settled on a certain portion of the tank. I am getting zero stress signals from him. He is basically acting like any other cichlid I have kept...

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
I have seen zero nipping behavior from them. I plan to up the group to 10-12 but I bought all the LFS had.

The Firemouth is moving around the tank like any other cichlid I have had would. Even though now he has seem to have settled on a certain portion of the tank. I am getting zero stress signals from him. He is basically acting like any other cichlid I have kept...
You just got them. Fish take time to settle into a new environment, and many times I have noted unusual (for the species) behaviours until they do. We cannot change the inherent traits of fish; nature makes them the way they are, and we have to accept it. This is a risk. End of story.

dbcb314

Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Just an update:

Barbs are doing great by themselves in the 37gal. Probably add something else to that tank soon but I am just not sure what I want to risk ATM. Might just put more tiger barbs in there (green and albino)

Serpaes have still not shown any nipping behavior whatsoever.

Firemouth is doing great and if anything has gotten a bit more aggressive lately. Coloring up nicely.

Thanks again for the help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store