How Freshwater Deep Sand Beds Work

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anoxia

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Good news, I did some research, and it appears to me that the type of clam I found is a common introduced Asian species called corbicula fluminea, which is nonglochidial, meaning it doesn't have a parasitic stage of development.

I also learned that only freshwater mussels produce glochids, or parasitic offspring, freshwater clams do not. The confusion ocurrs when people mistakenly refer to the freshwater mussel as a clam.

I think just to keep the confusion going, I'll name my new experimental clam "Oyster". They are hermaphrodites, so that name will be suitably gender neutral, LOL.

I decided I'm only going to try one at first, in case it doesn't make it, even though my DSB could probably decompose several dead clams without a problem. I mean, DeeDeeK's DSB is much smaller, and it easily dissolved a whole dwarf gourami! I just don't want that many clam deaths on my conscience if it doesn't work out, you know?

DeeDeeK

Seeker of Piscean Wisdom
Apr 10, 2009
San Francisco
I decided I'm only going to try one at first, in case it doesn't make it, even though my DSB could probably decompose several dead clams without a problem. I mean, DeeDeeK's DSB is much smaller, and it easily dissolved a whole dwarf gourami! I just don't want that many clam deaths on my conscience if it doesn't work out, you know?
Yeah, but that gourami was at the bottom of 3 inches of sand, don't forget. And there's actually still a little bit left! But then again, I buried two hatchetfish and a largish (relatively) female Endler in that same period. The whole substrate below 3/4 inch deep turned black for months! Now it's back to grey

You clams sound trés interesting! A clam named Oyster sounds like the name of a song. Like "A boy named Sue."

tiki19

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Elkton, Maryland
DeeDeeK,

Thanks for such a great, detailed thread on this topic! I've had a sand bed for a few years now, and I believe it's the reason I've rarely lost any fish. You've given me a ton of new ideas to try and I just bought more sand to go a bit deeper.

I've also used blackworms for years but I culture them outside the tank in peat and have always been careful to only feed in an open area of the tank because I thought they'd die under the sand. Raising them outside the tank, they can't have any more than an inch or two of water covering them (w/o airation which I don't use because it's a giant pain) or you get die off pretty quickly.

You are right tho!! I bit the bullet and let a few escapees go free, and haven't had any problems. I can also occasionaly spot their tails sticking out - if I spot them before the fish do - so I know at least most of them are alive. I don't understand the difference, tho. My peat culture has to have a pretty sizable bacterial colony. My only guess is you need some anaerobic conditions for some reason I don't understand?

Btw, I read this awhile back and thought you might get a kick out of it. It's a quote from a site on creating a saltwater look in freshwater aquariums:
DO NOT USE SAND Fine sand, even the kinds that are 'safe' for freshwater use are horendous in a freshwater tank. Over time they slowly turn tan from absorbing other minerals in the water. Fish poo gets mixed in and you cant get it out. you CANT gravel clean sand. Its so fine that the sipon based gravel cleaners will suck it out in addition to the silt. Even if you can advoid these things, over time sand with compact into a kind of 'sandstone' that you cant shift. Eventually you'll have to break it out of the tank just to get it out.
Here's a link to the site: http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/robertkalin/fishy.html

Thanks again for all the info and pics. Really great stuff!!

DeeDeeK

Seeker of Piscean Wisdom
Apr 10, 2009
San Francisco
DeeDeeK,

My only guess is you need some anaerobic conditions for some reason I don't understand?

Btw, I read this awhile back and thought you might get a kick out of it. It's a quote from a site on creating a saltwater look in freshwater aquariums:
Here's a link to the site: http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/robertkalin/fishy.html

Thanks again for all the info and pics. Really great stuff!!
I agree with the guy you quoted re. fine sand. Fine sand can compact more and is much less open to diffusion than larger grained sands. In my opinion, though, for a sand to be "safe for freshwater" it has to have largish grains and be meshed so those grains come only in a limited, narrow range of sizes (makes it more compaction resistant. Pool filter sand is meshed, f'r'xample.). And all that crud in the sand he's complaining about? That stuff is great! You don't WANT to vacuum it out!!!! Plant that baby and watch the plants suck up all those nutrients and thrive on the extra CO2 the decay releases.

Thank you for the compliment tiki19!

Why one might want anaerobic conditions in their sand bed...Well, if the sand is sufficiently open to diffusion, which critters like blackworms enhance through their burrowing, nitrates will diffuse downwards as well as upwards from the aerobic zone where nitrifying bacteria metabolize ammonia into NO3. When it goes down into the anaerobic zone, denitrifying bacteria use the O in NO3 in place of free O2 and release the nitrogen. Just like in saltwater DSBs! Additionally, there are bacteria which reduce iron oxides and manganese dioxide to a soluble iron or manganese ion which roots can take up.

Anyways, it is very gratifying read that someone found my writing useful. Next month, if all goes well, I have an article coming out on http://wetwebmedia.com which concerns freshwater DSBs. I was only allowed 2500 words, so it is an incredibly abridged version of what's in this thread, but it provides a good, simple picture of how a particular style of DSB works (the style I advocate in this thread), a list of principles that if any implementation of a DSB observes and practices that if any aquarist keeping a DSB follows will result in a healthy and function DSB, plus a 9 step how-to for setting one up. I'm very proud of it and feel quite clever to have done it!:dance: Everybody check it out! I've really enjoyed some of the other articles I've read on their site.

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Bunbury, Western Australia
Excellent work!
I ordered black worms yesterday, the shop owner kept asking...but why?
Felt like smackin him.lol
I cant wait for the little critters to get started on my dsb.
Thanks for all this info, it has intrigued me over the last month.
The 9 steps will be great too!

Gammarus

AC Members
Mar 2, 2010
APOLOGY IN ADVANCE, I ramble like crazy about fish stuff.

This... This is awe inspiring. I registered specifically for this.
This is a wealth of low-tech knowledge the likes I have never seen, and have hunted for many times. I've said for years that aquariums don't need 100$ light hoods, and filters strong enough to use on pools. Plants don't require CO2 injections, and liquid fertilizers.
A pond doesn't operate on such things.

I stumbled across this while searching for information on DSB, after reading about their use in a free saltwater magazine from the lfs, I wondered about their use in fresh water, having never seen one myself.
I didn't find much at first.
Got deeper into the hunt after wondering why my puffer tank worked so well. It just has plants, and a small pump that disturbs the waters surface. No filter at all. Gets a water change like once every 3 months, even with 'messy food'. Layered substrate, dirt, sand, gravel. This feels like a topic for another thread, ill get back to the subject at hand.

I read the entire thread. It inspired me to create my own DSB aquarium.
Seemed like a great thing to do since the air pump for the UGF died anyways. Don't worry, it just housed a turtle. No casualties. Turtle has since moved house.
It's sort of going to be an on going experiment for me for a couple reasons.

20 gallon aquarium-----------
deep sand bed- A mix of gravel and play sand. I chose to go with play sand for a few reasons, it's cheap, about 4$ for 50LBs. I needed some for the new turtle home, and for raising another generation of triops.
A major contributing factor in choosing play sand was also a local creek. Much of the creek is sand, and its almost exactly play sand, even a similar color. The life in this creek is PROLIFIC. I net bait, and food for my other fish there, and have studied the ecosystem there a bit.
However, being wary of epic fails, and taking advice found here, I mixed play sand with natural river gravel. I collected this myself from a spot in a river where the bedrock is such that it creates drop offs that collect gravel. it ranges in size from 'pool sand' to slightly larger than standard aquarium gravel. It was what I was using for the UFG, and was MUCH better at filtering than the old gravel from the store. So anyways, about 2inches of the gravel, mixed with enough sand to raise the substrate to 3-3.5 inches.

Seeded the mix with 'live' gravel/sand from another aquarium.
Currently the only plants are about 10 cabomba cuttings from another aquarium. Pushed 1 shrimp pellet down to the bottom of the sand near each cutting, all cuttings have roots. Will wait for good growth before adding more plants, no point in wasting them all on a failed DSB mix.

The gravel I used had about 40-100 MTS in it, the survivors of about 1000, after the turtle ate them. In a bit of insanity, I put the largest one I could find down at the bottom of the sand bed. It emerged within minuets. Good to know the mix can easily be burrowed through.

The aquarium will be used for inverts and plants. Eventually i hope to raise a massive colony of cherry shrimp.
This gets to the main reason I'm here.
Plants and MTS are not enough.

My wish, once it gets warm, is to get out to the creek I mentioned and sift the sand for inverts. I plan on getting planaria, as you cant roll a single rock during the summer and not find at least 10. I have already identified the species there as harmless detritivores (is that proper usage?).

There is a massive vernal pool nearby that scuds proliferate in starting at about 45deg f I plan on collecting from.

DeeDeek,
I have some ideas, and questions.
Without rereading the thread, I know you mention scuds as a useful inhabitant for DSBs. However I do not recall you speaking of personal experiences with them. Just how useful are they. Anything that contributes to the cycle is good, but do they just scurry about on top of the sand eating, or do they dig a bit?

Black worms will be easy to acquire. However, what are your thoughts on using tubifex worms in a DSB, providing they are healthy and disease free when attained. Wouldn't they burrow through the substrata, and provide a similar service that blackworms would. Would they overpopulate to quickly?(not an issue, the carp would LOVE them. Yes, an actual carp, not goldfish species.)
Is their smaller size a big draw back for using them? I have found anecdotal evidence of "escaped feeder" tubifex worms thriving in aquaria, and the 'dirt' that gets vacuumed out of the gravel around them is 'clean' and organically rich and nontoxic.

Freshwater isopods. Aquatic pillbugs.
I have kept these in aquarium before, mostly as easily maintained live fish food. I don't know if they burrow, but they are tireless scavengers. I know for a fact that a pile of dead leaves can be turned into dirt by these guys, it's what I feed them when keeping them. I also read somewhere that they do not eat live plants.

Fingernail clams.
Tiny bivalve water filters. They burrow, though very shallow. I'll have a ready supply in about a month. What are your thoughts on these for a DSB aquarium?

"crawling plants"
Ground cover, aquatic grasses and the like. Would a total covering of the DSB surface create problems, or would all of those plants just help? Half of the aquarium is Brightly lit, for plants, the other half is moderately lit, and will have a chunk of driftwood, once i stumble across the perfect piece while wading in the river. I don't PLAN on having a total covering, but just in case...

Omg, I rambled, I'm sorry for such a lengthy post D:

DeeDeeK

Seeker of Piscean Wisdom
Apr 10, 2009
San Francisco
APOLOGY IN ADVANCE, I ramble like crazy about fish stuff. ...

DeeDeek,
I have some ideas, and questions.
Without rereading the thread, I know you mention scuds as a useful inhabitant for DSBs. However I do not recall you speaking of personal experiences with them. Just how useful are they. Anything that contributes to the cycle is good, but do they just scurry about on top of the sand eating, or do they dig a bit?

Black worms will be easy to acquire. However, what are your thoughts on using tubifex worms in a DSB, providing they are healthy and disease free when attained. Wouldn't they burrow through the substrata, and provide a similar service that blackworms would. Would they overpopulate to quickly?(not an issue, the carp would LOVE them. Yes, an actual carp, not goldfish species.)
Is their smaller size a big draw back for using them? I have found anecdotal evidence of "escaped feeder" tubifex worms thriving in aquaria, and the 'dirt' that gets vacuumed out of the gravel around them is 'clean' and organically rich and nontoxic.

Freshwater isopods. Aquatic pillbugs.
I have kept these in aquarium before, mostly as easily maintained live fish food. I don't know if they burrow, but they are tireless scavengers. I know for a fact that a pile of dead leaves can be turned into dirt by these guys, it's what I feed them when keeping them. I also read somewhere that they do not eat live plants.

Fingernail clams.
Tiny bivalve water filters. They burrow, though very shallow. I'll have a ready supply in about a month. What are your thoughts on these for a DSB aquarium?

"crawling plants"
Ground cover, aquatic grasses and the like. Would a total covering of the DSB surface create problems, or would all of those plants just help? Half of the aquarium is Brightly lit, for plants, the other half is moderately lit, and will have a chunk of driftwood, once i stumble across the perfect piece while wading in the river. I don't PLAN on having a total covering, but just in case...

Omg, I rambled, I'm sorry for such a lengthy post D:
I love to ramble and to read long-winded yarns and rambles!

I must confess to having only recent experience with scuds NOT resulting in deaths (of scuds). What I think about scuds is that they run around on the surface eating stuff and excreting smaller stuff - burning off organic matter for energy and absorbing proteins and pooping out more stuff with more concentrated minerals. Yes, they absorb and utilize minerals, but the minerals are not burned off like organics are so homeostasis requires that the scuds (or any other animal that poops) excrete minerals at the approximate rate they are consumed, unless the critter is growing.

Scud poop=fertilizer, in small small particles which can sift down into the sand.

I guess I haven't addressed tubifex worms in this thread but in an article of mine (allegedly) coming out on http://wetwebmedia.com this month, March, I explain that while I name only like four primary multicellular organisms to integrate into the sand bed, the important thing isn't the species but the function it serves. I go on to suggest tubifex worms, and the addition of assassin snails to control MTS as well as digging a fair bit themselves.

I think freshwater isopods and bivalves are great ideas!

I don't think ground cover plants would be a problem. They'll probably interfere with the MTS but they'll provide a very extensive root system in exchange. Who knows? It might actually be an improvement! Scuds would be great in such cover. They love cover and they'd fit in amongst all the leaves and eat food the other denizens of the tank missed, and their poo would go straight through the matted plants and into the substrate! Planaria would continue to do their organic-matter-disintegration thing within the sand. Blackworms, at least, get along great with root systems. I've discovered Blackworms curled in amongst roots I've unearthed from the blackest, deepest, anaerobic pockets in my tank. I'm sure the worms are taking their oxygen from the microenvironment surrounding the roots which, it has been noted before, actually carry oxygen down with them in order to infiltrate anoxic and anaerobic regions.

Any-who, Blackworms like roots, of all depths

Here's how I think about DSBs. The sand takes in mulm, holds, plants, houses bacteria in different environments interlinked by diffusion. If you can find a substitute for sand that adequately does those functions, you can toss the sand and substitute for it. Plants absorb metals, bring aerobic organisms into anaerobic and anoxic environments without wrecking those environments, absorb CO2 and build tissue from it - thus storing carbon for future release upon death, and so on and so forth. Find an organism or organisms that'll tackle what a plant does, or at least do the most vital things the plant does, and go ahead and substitute it for plants.

If you're familiar with computer programming, you'll see a similarity; computer programs are made of chunks of code, sometimes called objects or subroutings or processes etc., the important thing about is that they accept a given input(s) and respond in a characteristic, consistent manner, usually altering some data, returning a value (output), or affecting some hardware element of the computer. So, input - function - output. Here's a list of some common functions which occur in the freshwater DSB.

Ammonia - nitrification - Nitrate, nitrate - denitrification - nitrogen or nitrous oxide, hydrogen sulfide - hydrogen sulfide eating - sulfate

In my way of seeing things, it is these functions which are important, not the precise means. Except, I like DSBs rather than power filters with biomedia, so personal taste dictates what I will use as a biofilter. Objectively, it matters little unless you, say, have fish that require still water or the opposite. Then you need either a DSB or a power filter which creates a nice little current.

You can consider a current or a lack thereof to be outputs of the general function of filtration.

If you don't want deep sand but do want denitrification, there're plenty of other schemes which will give you this (at greater hassle, expense, equipment, but hey-some of use like cool equipment!). It can be a nitrate - denitrification(fluid bed filter) - nitrogen or a nitrate- denitrification(FWDSB) - nitrogen function.

One can have a fishtank with that awful, tacky, epoxy-covered, colorful gravel (no offense! Each to her own taste.) with one of those hob filters that take those wafer-cartridges (filter pad, carbon, filter pad) that are changed regularly so there's little biofilter, vacuum the gravel a bunch, change water in quantity and frequently, and overstock with goldfish. Here, we have human labor working to reduce ammonia, nitrite , etc., and improve water quality - substituting for any form of biofilter. All the functions of the freshwater DSB have been simplified and streamlined into waste - waste removal(vacuuming, water changes) - clean water.

The substrate is a simplified one, and let's assume plastic plants substitute (poorly) for the aesthetics of real plants as well as plants effects on fish behavior. Well, much of the functions plants carry out has been accomplished through water changes but a few remaining have been accomplished by plastic plants while the remainder have been simply dispensed with - nonvital in this style tank. Hood lights substitute for the sun, a heater for sun/weather, filter for natural circulation, tank for natural body of water, fish food for bugs, vegetable matter, etc. In fact, this hypothetical goldfish is essentially the only natural (well, highly domesticate actually) part of the "ecology" of this fishtank unless there's some algae, aquatic fungus, ick, or other minor organism. Ok, there's microorganisms but hey, out of sight out of mind - no?

Honestly, the freshwater DSB is the same thing as the aforementioned goldfish nightmare. It is a circumscribed, managed, mini-ecosystem with some essential natural "inputs" substituted by human intervention and artifice. We choose and provide light, tank, water chemistry, substrate, species to stock, circulation, and temperature for the most part. Even an "el Naturalé" tanks is highly artificial.

We choose the elements we choose in order to attain a goal; a pretty fishtank with lots of colorful fish, impressive large sized predatory fish 'cause we're macho, bio-topes, aquascapes, breeding, etc., etc.

So it ultimately is summed up by the function of aquarium stuff (fish, filters, tanks, substrate, medicine, water treatments, fishnets, etc.) - aquarium - human's aquarium goal(aesthetics, ecosystems, predators, pretty fish, breeding, etc.).

Obtuse, no? Well, I basically set a limited set of final goals to attain, and consider what functions will combine to result in that goal and let my personal taste, resources, and philosophy guide me in choosing what PARTICULAR thing will fulfill each function: I wanted a healthy, planted tank with low circulation and the capacity to stock somewhat heavily with fish and to keep some invertebrates, and as little maintenance (vacuuming, water changes) as possible.

Justin, the owner of my fave LFS, turned me on to his, more simple, freshwater DSB approach when I told him of what I wanted to accomplish. I've gone several tanks, learning by observation and reading (mostly "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium") so my implementation of the freshwater DSB has diverged from Justin's as I've learned and experimented, becoming more complex but still doing basically the same thing, just with a few added benefits like enhancing CO2 levels and greater fertility from mulm's better infiltration of the sand.

Ok, so I suggest everything and nothing. What fascinates me is all the knowledge, possibilities, and life processes in the freshwater aquarium hobby. I detest narrow approaches and especially when certain techniques are either pushed or shunned without thorough understanding of how they work and possibilities are excluded from expression.

Well, well, well. How's that for a ramble? Fish, systems, knowledge, and free expression!

One final thought I must express: It's wonderful, Grammarus, when other people put a little thought into reading the work of others (like me!) and get their own ideas and make suggestions and ask questions! Thanks for contributing, I really liked your post!...Would you consider creating a thread to journal your progress with the sand bed tank you're working on? The stream nearby as an influence is very intriguing!

Gammarus

AC Members
Mar 2, 2010
Heh, goldfish nightmare... :)

Hmmmm....

Yes, a 'written' record of progress would be nice actually. However, since it is essentially a sand bed full of snails at the moment, I think I will hold off for a time. Multiple -no change. posts just aren't that interesting.
It would be interesting to gather some of the seasonal plants at the creek, but those wont be in for a while yet. We will be going from 30deg, to 50deg weather in about a week. Plenty warm enough to get the sifting tools out and strain sand and mud samples for inverts. I am particularly interested in the worms I have found there before. They look like regular earth worms, except they are much pinker, and thicker like night crawlers, only about 2-3 inches long. I find them with about an inch of their tails sticking out of the sand, flailing in the breeze. This is an odd behavior to me, as most earth worms actively seek to escape total submersion and die after a time in water.

The creek has multiple high points, and much of it becomes stagnant for months during the summer. A single footstep reveals the darker layers just a few inches down. I would consider 10,000 minnows, and a few hundred crayfish over stocked for a small pocket of water, and yet they survive, and thrive, for months until fall weather brings the water level back up. It's essentially a massive DSB aquarium.
Nature itself seems to support your work!
Must not ramble, have not the time...

Anyways...
I think once I take the next step, which will most likely be adding more life to my DSB, I may be inclined to start a new thread and document it. Who knows, maybe no ones ever done a long term study of the mating habits of freshwater isopods? :D

DeeDeeK

Seeker of Piscean Wisdom
Apr 10, 2009
San Francisco
Who knows, maybe no ones ever done a long term study of the mating habits of freshwater isopods? :D
Who would want to mate with one of those things anyways?:joke:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store