45 gal - stocking questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jenricae

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC Canada
I'm currently a month into restocking my 45gal tank (rectangle shaped - 3ft long, 2ft high, and 1ft deep). It's heavily planted with driftwood and rocks. The substrate is flourite and sand. The tank is filtered by two Aquaclear 200s.

Currently there are ramshorn and mts snails and 10 rummynose tetras. They've lived there for a month and are doing great. Now I want to start slowly bringing in new members of the community.

So far my idea is to add:
8-10 harlequin rasboras
6-8 corys or other bottom feeder
2 Pearl Gouramis
2 keyhole cichlids or 2 bolivian rams

Is this doable? I'd like to keep enough of the fish so they feel low-stress and are natural but not have an overstocked tank. I really like the Pearls with the Keyholes, but would the bolivian rams be less of a bioload? If bioload is a concern, i could drop the corys (or have less of them). Are there bottom feeders that do well in singles or pairs? Do the cichlids feed of the bottom since that's the region the hang out? Anyways, trying to do the right thing here so I have a healthy and happy tank.

Last edited:

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I think you'll be ok with the keyholes and pearls. Once the tank is fully stocked you can test to see what your water change frequency and amount should be. For a heavily planted tank, nitrates kept below 20 ppm will work I think.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store