DIY OVERFLOW KIT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

arnoldisnumero1

Govenator
Dec 20, 2006
www.hapaglloyd.com
The LFS sells this overflow kit for 49.99, I did my own for 15.00 in parts from the homecenter. It's height is adjustable just like the All-Glass version. Yeah for me:clap:

DSCN2274.JPG DSCN2275.JPG megaflow_diagram.jpg

arnoldisnumero1

Govenator
Dec 20, 2006
www.hapaglloyd.com
im not sure what the stockman pipe is....LOL :huh: , but I know that no siphoning is required with this setup, once the water level reaches the open end of the pipe, it flows over and down to the sump on its own. I hate the hang on overflow box that I have on my undrilled reef tank, you have to get a mouthfull of saltwater to get the siphon going...nasty! Anyway, please elaborate on the stockman pipe..

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
just trying to get my head round what this is...It looks like a type of weir rather than an overflow box as the water just goes in through the pipe and down the tube via a hole drilled in the bottom of the tank...Rather than a normal overflow which takes water over the side of the tank...

Take a look at the standpipe here matey...

http://www.rl180reef.com/frames.htm

Niko

arnoldisnumero1

Govenator
Dec 20, 2006
www.hapaglloyd.com
you are correct about the weir type, that is what this is...funny though I could not link over to the durso standpipe link on the page you gave me...is that similar?

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
if you bring up google.com and type "durso standpipe" ( without quotation marks ) and it should be the first result in google mate...take a look and see what you think...

Niko

arnoldisnumero1

Govenator
Dec 20, 2006
www.hapaglloyd.com
right on brother!! I see, it is exactly like that but adjustable. Nice. I was amazed when the LFS told me 50 bucks for that thing. I said to the guy, "I can build that", he "recommended" that I not try....what a doofus. They were all shaking there heads in shame when I told them I would not buy it.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The standpipe has loads of mod's that you can do to it...It is one of them simple devices that has revolutionized the marine plumbing industry...So simple and cheap, but so effective...

Niko

arnoldisnumero1

Govenator
Dec 20, 2006
www.hapaglloyd.com
So how is this suposed to adjust?
check out the first picture at the top of this post, the long tube thing on the right side of the shot is an adjustable tube for outdoor irrigation repair known in the trade as and expansion coupler. Basically the skinny tube slides up and down inside the fatter tube, a total travel of about 6 inches. so it goes as follows from the bulkhead up....
12-14 inch length of 1 inch pipe, which ties into a 1 1/2" expansion coupler(the slide thingy)which then ties into the 1 1/2" "T", which finally ties into the 90 degree elbow at the very top. The top side of the "T" has a threaded cleanout cap, not sure its function, I only added it because I was going off of the picture of the one sold by ALL-Glass. All of these items are available at the local hardware store, or home center. the only connection I used glue on was for the T to the expansion coupler so when I pull on it to raise the water level it does not fly off in my hand, everything else can be done without the need for glue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store