Jay's Planted 180g Tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
whoa...how do you keep track of them all wait wait, let me guess you keep a book by it and write them down when you get them,tell me how you remember im quite young 13 and i could not remember all that.
Haha... you'll get to identify many of them with experience or you begin to recognize what family they are in by there characteristics (google does the rest) or you turn to the knowledgeable folks on forums like this with a picture if you are lucky you can just ask the person who gave it to you. I did update my .txt file on my PC so it is easy to just cut and paste the list...LOL

It's good to get into some good habits now as I get older my memory slips a little so I refer to spreadsheets and docs to keep tract of it all like dosing for example. (especially since I was tinkering with it for a while to try to dial it in with my new water source.)

I have two stems in there I have yet add to the list I think one is Myrio and the other I have wait until it transitions to submersed to attempt to identify.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i agree i have the same in my 29 gallon but i call it anubias nana.aren't they the same thing or are they different plants?

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Nice tank! I like Anubias nana petit
Thank you.

i agree i have the same in my 29 gallon but i call it anubias nana.aren't they the same thing or are they different plants?
Anubias nana petite is the small form of Anubias nana, nana petite leaves generally are no bigger than a nickel or smaller.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Geez, I'm sorry your C. helferi has bba tips, that was going to be my val replacement suggestion for the left side, it looks so happy! Which val is it, are you sure it's americana? I have either v. spiralis or natans with no sign of bba in my "riverish" tank (~2/wpg, no CO2 but lotsa flow).

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Geez, I'm sorry your C. helferi has bba tips, that was going to be my val replacement suggestion for the left side, it looks so happy! Which val is it, are you sure it's americana? I have either v. spiralis or natans with no sign of bba in my "riverish" tank (~2/wpg, no CO2 but lotsa flow).
I believe it to be val american but it wouldn't be the first time I bought something miss labeled...LOL I have had v. spiralis (italian) and v. contortionist at one point or another but given them away long ago. This val has straight leaves but seem to be narrower than the american pictures in a google search. I'm not familiar natans.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Are you not a fan of "contortionist"? It's one of my favorite vals but it doesn't grow consistently for me. I do however like your C. Helferi and am certainly considering it for a val replacement. How tall does it normally get?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I was told the only way to tell V. spiralis from natans was to see flowers, that's the "spiral" part of spiralis. Mine is ~1/4 inch or so wide & maybe 28 inches long, I have to trim it in my 55g. A friend has a val that has even narrower, 1/8 in, stiffer straight leaves but doesn't get very tall, 12-15 inches or so.

I have a couple young crinum calamistrum I like, that might be a possibility for you. Mine haven't grown like pics I've seen...yet anyway, after almost 2 years.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Haha... you'll get to identify many of them with experience or you begin to recognize what family they are in by there characteristics (google does the rest) or you turn to the knowledgeable folks on forums like this with a picture if you are lucky you can just ask the person who gave it to you. I did update my .txt file on my PC so it is easy to just cut and paste the list...LOL

It's good to get into some good habits now as I get older my memory slips a little so I refer to spreadsheets and docs to keep tract of it all like dosing for example. (especially since I was tinkering with it for a while to try to dial it in with my new water source.)

I have two stems in there I have yet add to the list I think one is Myrio and the other I have wait until it transitions to submersed to attempt to identify.
my mom is hating on my plant dream.i just asked to get a bundle of hornwort or something else i didnt get to read the tag.she said you have enough.im like i will never have enough....

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Are you not a fan of "contortionist"? It's one of my favorite vals but it doesn't grow consistently for me. I do however like your C. Helferi and am certainly considering it for a val replacement. How tall does it normally get?
Can't say that I am in my tank because the v. contortionist would be so twisted it was one huge knot of a mess. I was constantly combining it out to get the leaves to grow up, but it was very frustrating as the plant matured.

My C. helferi is over 20 inches I picked it up Petsmart I think they were $7.99 but there where several plants in the package. The great thing about this plant no runners...LOL

I was told the only way to tell V. spiralis from natans was to see flowers, that's the "spiral" part of spiralis. Mine is ~1/4 inch or so wide & maybe 28 inches long, I have to trim it in my 55g. A friend has a val that has even narrower, 1/8 in, stiffer straight leaves but doesn't get very tall, 12-15 inches or so.
Mine are straight 1/4 in wide 16-18 tall sensitive to Excel so the tips burn easily after my dosing, the tips of the plants are more flexible but the closer you get to the roots the stiffer it gets .

I have a couple young crinum calamistrum I like, that might be a possibility for you. Mine haven't grown like pics I've seen...yet anyway, after almost 2 years.
We had a crinum calamistrum in our plant club that got passed around and eventually we couldn't talk anyone else into taking it... the last member who had it took pictures along side of it leaves were 6 feet tall if I'm not mistaken. My Cryptocoryne crispatula v. balansae were over 24 in when I gave up on them. Cryptocoryne spiralis in there that are about 24 inches but they haven't taken over the surface as the balansae did.

my mom is hating on my plant dream.i just asked to get a bundle of hornwort or something else i didnt get to read the tag.she said you have enough.im like i will never have enough....
Save enough money for shipping and keep an eye out for ROAK where shipping is usually all you pay for at times you can stumble over a big bundle of different plants for under $15. The trouble is you'll have to do some serious research fast so you don't get stuck getting a group of high demanding plants that your tank doesn't have the conditions for cause that would be a waste.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store