How To Handle This....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I've got a hose that I attach onto the sink to bring the water in, but to siphon it out I have to use a bucket, which is a pain when you're doing a 50% water change on a 55. I guess it isn't too bad; I could've gotten off much worse.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
The 50' python is worth every single penny unless you have tiny fish or shrimp that might be sucked up. The only tanks where I have to do bucket changes anymore are the ones where I am terrified to accidentally have a fish go down the sink drain. They come in 75' too if 50 is too short. Makes water changes SO fast and easy! Love it!
I have a python as well, and it was the best investment ever! You can easily do 30% water changes on three tanks over 55 gallons in under 10 minutes! :D I have nothing but gratuity towards the makers of python! And no lugging water anymore, which is sooo nice because I am fairly weak and would have to carry 3 gallons full to prevent spillage, which took forever. As for fish getting sucked up, if you can see them, then I just make sure to keep it away from fish, along with sticking it on the driftwood or something where they can't get sucked up.

Ghpr1957

AC Members
Sep 28, 2011
Fairdale, KY
Well... I could hook up a hose to my utility sink, but it's three rooms over and IDK if I'll be able to find a hose long enough that fits on the util's faucet. Worth a shot though. If I can get a hose long enough to do that, then it should be able to reach the sub-pump too, thusly eliminating the need for windows or buckets :)

Now I just need to find a hose that long lol

The hose is outdoor, the sink is 3 rooms over, and all the windows are 6ft above the tank. It's in the basement.
Well if you can't get a Python, I don't see why you couldn't get a regular garden hose in whatever size you need, and attached that to utility sink. Then you can adjust the water temp and fill your tank.

Ghpr1957:)

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
You know they make pythons 100 feet long, right? They also make extensions for them.

You can also take a small fish net, cut the netting off, and use a zip tie or rubber band to hold it onto the end of the python so you don't suck up any fish. I don't know about anyone else, but my freaking fish are facinated by the python end and actually try to swim up it, ESPECIALLY if there are particles they think are food going up the hose that they want to eat....I have piggy fish...

Last edited:

pisces70

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
I use the Python for tank filling and water changes. Every time I place a tank I measure out the distance from the sink with our Python to make sure I can use it. Love the Python! :)
I've never had a fish get sucked into the Python. You simply keep it very low to the substrate in the front corner by you and you can see right through it so it's not difficult to keep fish away from it. I have shooed a few curious fish away before, but no casualties from it.

The easiest solution for you if a sink and a Python are not an option, is a large holding container (tank, plastic bin, trash can) next to the tank. Fill the container using the hose and let it sit a day or more to warm up to room temp. If the basement is too chilly add a heater to the container. If you plan to keep water in the container at all times a trash can with a lid is a good choice to keep dust and debris from getting into your clean water.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I need to get a python now...

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I change the water on my 100g with a 5g bucket...builds some serious muscle. Kidding...mostly.

:cheers:

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
We have 10 tanks. From a 12 gallon all the way up to 180 gallons and a bunch in between from the 50 to 90 gallon range. Id be in trouble doing water changes without my Python water changing system. Ive got the 50 ft unit with a 25 foot extension for when I need it. It does a great job siphoning the water out and when im ready to fill I drag the siphon end back to the sink use my most accurate digital thermometer and get the water coming out the end of it on temp with the tanks.. or so close it doesnt matter. 1 to 2 degrees isnt going to make a difference. While im filling a tank I add my water conditioner (Prime) to the tank and its good to go. Fill that one up and move to the next one. I also do the fish net trick. buy a larger fish net and put it over the end of the siphon with a zip tie or rubber band. It will keep from having my shrimps and my smaller fish getting sucked up. Then you have no worries. Alot of the times I actually siphon the water outside using the Python. I let it drain into my flower beds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store