DIY Bio-Nitrate filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Have you though of using a denitrator on a separate water line that feeds a storage tank? I'd find it somewhat annoying to know that I was raising my nitrates with every water change, other benefits aside. If you can pre-treat water on a continous basis you might well be able to keep up with demand.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Have you though of using a denitrator on a separate water line that feeds a storage tank? I'd find it somewhat annoying to know that I was raising my nitrates with every water change, other benefits aside. If you can pre-treat water on a continous basis you might well be able to keep up with demand.
Thanks - yes, I'm toying with getting the API tap water filter that filters nitrates. The only downside is some reviews suggest that the filter cartridges don't last very long (although I think they had very hard water). If this DIY tank nitrate filter works, I think if I produced 10-15~ gallons of filtered water a week or every other week for water changes, it would be good.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Thanks - yes, I'm toying with getting the API tap water filter that filters nitrates. The only downside is some reviews suggest that the filter cartridges don't last very long (although I think they had very hard water). If this DIY tank nitrate filter works, I think if I produced 10-15~ gallons of filtered water a week or every other week for water changes, it would be good.
Note: prior to my discovery of high nitrates in my well water, I was doing 50% (30g) weekly water changes.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I would think that once your trickle unit is fully established that you could feed your tap water into it at a slow enough rate to completely eliminate 60 ppm and still produce 30 gals a week.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
I would think that once your trickle unit is fully established that you could feed your tap water into it at a slow enough rate to completely eliminate 60 ppm and still produce 30 gals a week.
I think you're correct...but I'm thinking I won't even need that much of a water change. If the nitrates are kept low and the tank is kept well filtered and clean, it seems logical that the volume or frequency of fresh water changes can be reduced and still have a healthy, vibrant aquarium. Now here is a case where the periodic use of activated carbon or purigen may assist.

footnote: I pulled the trigger and ordered the API Tap Water Filter but must play a wait and see game on how well the filter cartridges hold up.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I agree but as I said in an earlier post it's more a matter of principle to me. My tanks' nitrate levels can go up all by themselves without my assisting it! I'd just feel better about doing changes that lowered them than raised them! I suppose that in the end the result is the same.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
I agree but as I said in an earlier post it's more a matter of principle to me. My tanks' nitrate levels can go up all by themselves without my assisting it! I'd just feel better about doing changes that lowered them than raised them! I suppose that in the end the result is the same.
"what we have here [Luke] is a failure to communicate". Lets say I can get my nitrates down to zero by good water changes, floating plants, Fluval Nitrate Remover (ordered that too), act of devine intervention... Now lets say my nitrate filter kicks in and I can maintain low or zero nitrates. Now with the API tap filter producing nitrate free water...and a tank that has no nitrates...I should be able to do lower volume and/or less frequent water changes....and in a pinch, a small amount of my well water would only add a slight amount of nitrates (to feed the floating plants) that the filter would subsequently remove.
Somewhat wishful thinking, I know, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
"what we have here [Luke] is a failure to communicate". Lets say I can get my nitrates down to zero by good water changes, floating plants, Fluval Nitrate Remover (ordered that too), act of devine intervention... Now lets say my nitrate filter kicks in and I can maintain low or zero nitrates. Now with the API tap filter producing nitrate free water...and a tank that has no nitrates...I should be able to do lower volume and/or less frequent water changes....and in a pinch, a small amount of my well water would only add a slight amount of nitrates (to feed the floating plants) that the filter would subsequently remove.
Just something to think about, but I believe that zero nitrates in a tank can help promote certain kinds of algae. I'm not 100% on that, but I think it's right. Could cause all new worries if you keep the tank steadily at that level. Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm/deny.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Low nitrates are associated with diatoms, but then again so is silica sand...

I think it's more a matter of, low nitrates = new tank, and diatoms are one of the hallmarks of an unstable, new tank. I'm not sure why silica sand seems to play a role in diatom blooms, I know diatoms feed on silicates, but in theory the sand shouldn't be any more bio-available than the silica in quartz, aka your aquarium glass.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
No failure on my part. Like I said the result is the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store