DIY Compact Fluorescent (CFL) Strip Light Retrofit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Great job, looks great. How many watts does the cold cathode use up?? I wouldnt mind something like that but a bit dimmer on my tank
I have no idea how many watts, isn't rated that way. It runs on a 3 to 12 volt adjustable adapter...so you can go extremely dim, or extremely bright...up to you. So each voltage level, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 and 12V, gives you a different level of brightness.

Adapter

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I have no idea how many watts, isn't rated that way. It runs on a 3 to 12 volt adjustable adapter...so you can go extremely dim, or extremely bright...up to you. So each voltage level, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 and 12V, gives you a different level of brightness.

Adapter

is that what you have setup on yours? the radioshack adapter? if so can you take a pic of a dimmer setting?? :silly:

Thanks

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
is that what you have setup on yours? the radioshack adapter? if so can you take a pic of a dimmer setting?? :silly:

Thanks
That is exactly what I'm using, on two tanks. I have it set to 12V on one, and 6V on the other.

It's nearly impossible to get a good shot at the lower settings, the camera either doesn't pick it up or makes it look too bright in the pic. Here is the best I can come up with...definitely looks different in person.

6V

9V

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
great job, tank looks awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store