Small tanks- discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Ehh, don't know why I spazzed like that a few months ago, srry...

But I find my female bettas are still a little tense in my 75g, there's 2 of them, so I'd beware.

new2tanks

AC Members
Feb 18, 2006
t.o
I have a question regarding heating and WC's in a small tank. Im looking to setup a betta for my desk in a 1g or max 2 g tank/bowl and id like to do away with a filter if possible. How often would i need to do PWC's and how much wwater would i change?

ALso the temperature in our house varies a lot especially in the house in winter...could i do a small heater or would that be too much for the litte betta?

Thanks all!

Last edited:

new2tanks

AC Members
Feb 18, 2006
t.o
Betta's are fine for a 1g tank. Emg recommends them in her article "small tanks".

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
Betta's are fine for a 1g tank. Emg recommends them in her article "small tanks".

A betta in a 1 gallon tank is torture.

Try locking yourself in a toilet stall, then after a couple of years you can come out and let us know what it's like to be cooped up like that.

new2tanks

AC Members
Feb 18, 2006
t.o
Relax

A betta in a 1 gallon tank is torture.

Try locking yourself in a toilet stall, then after a couple of years you can come out and let us know what it's like to be cooped up like that.
No need to go on the offensive Carla.

I was asking a hypothetical question AND building on the information stated in the article thread on betta care.

:headshake2:

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Bettas are certainly fine in 1 gallon tanks, as long as you're willing to put in the work to keep them healthy. The best bettas in the world are raised in 250 ml whiskey jars, but receive multiple daily water changes. If you are willing to put in the increased amount of work involved, there's really no reason you can't do it. Since we can't speak on the happiness of our fish companions, you can only go by health, and as as far as I'm concerned, you can absolutely, without question, keep a betta healthy in a 1 gallon container.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I tend to agree and disagree. It sure can be done but I think that if the person is willing to put in the extra work they might as well go that extra step and get a larger tank. Even 5 gallons is going to be better for the betta and less stress for the owner. JMO though :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store