DIY - Root Tabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
This sounds great. Thanks for the tip!

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Want to add, basically the limiting factor is the micronutrient mix, Plantex CSM+B, because 3/4 cup is about 1/4lb, but with one batch being plenty for a long time, you can use the rest of ingredients for dosing, or you might have them already from dosing EI too. So really the $40 will also fertilize your tank aswell for a long time, depending on tank size and plant uptake.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
The clay is kaolinate i.e. potters clay. As long as it is just the ingredient is just the clay you can pick it up at any craft/art supply store.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
The clay is kaolinate i.e. potters clay. As long as it is just the ingredient is just the clay you can pick it up at any craft/art supply store.
Thats Kaolinite. But make sure it has a red/orange hue to it, because some Kaolinites are iron free with a white/grey look.

You want clay that is Red (iron rich), and like The V states is pottery clay, most clays from Target or Walmart are polymer based and will not work either.

ZachAttck

AC Members
Dec 13, 2008
Awesome...and then as for storing, do you just put all the balls in a plastic container under your tank?

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Awesome...and then as for storing, do you just put all the balls in a plastic container under your tank?
I store them in ziplock bags, and keep them on my shelf with dry fertilizers and plants misc.

Deanthoreu

its: Dean Thoreau
Mar 11, 2009
near Philadelphia
might want to try ac moore for your red clay (cheaper than joanns fabrics) or talk to a nice pottery teacher at a local elementary school and she/he may toss u some for free...i mean they buy it by the hundred pounds..

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
might want to try ac moore for your red clay (cheaper than joanns fabrics) or talk to a nice pottery teacher at a local elementary school and she/he may toss u some for free...i mean they buy it by the hundred pounds..

AC moore, that must be a East Coast store/chain. I even tried pottery stores/supplies, but that got me no where. The school thing might be good, since 1-2lbs would last many years or batches and that amount would never be missed or noticed.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i just got some red mexican pottery clay from ac moore. the brand name is amaco. it was $13 plus change for 5 lbs. a lady in front of me in line had an extra flyer and gave me a coupon so it was closer to $7. i wanted to contribute before asking. so my question is: is this ok? i don't want to find out the hard way that it's not, and i have everything else already so i'm anxious to get crackin' if you know what i mean.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Thats the same stuff I use, I got mine from a Joann's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store