My 125 gallon build a.k.a. in the deep end...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
WoW! Haven't been on AC in quite a while and look what happened!
Your tank is beautiful! Great job on the stand and I like the scape very much.
When those plants grow in a bit more it'll look lovely. Enjoy your tank, super work!

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
How did I miss this thread? I just commented on your other thread (photo gallery), incredible tank and build! The african root wood is very different, looks great in your tank. What dosing regime are you using? Your tank is still fairly new, once it settles in, I'm sure the algae will be a site of the past. Tagging along, hoping you'll keep this thread current.
Thanks alot for the comments. The stand and hood build were a lot of fun and I'm pleased with the results. Hopefully will encourage others to give DIY a try.

As for the wood, The local fish store called it "african root wood." Not sure that's proper, but whatever its called, I love the look of it, too. I was planning on ordering some type of driftwood, but I found a bunch of this at my local fish store. I sorted through the pile and picked three nice piece I think go together well. Lots of nooks to plant stuff or the fish and shrimp to hide.

As far as ferts go, I'm dosing using a modification of the PPS-Pro method. I dose their formula, but I am performing a 20% weekly water change. I contemplated EI, but 50% weekly was too much for me. I ordered the dry ferts and a few bottles. Dose macros and micros 12.5 ml each once a day. One order should last me a year or two. Pretty easy and seems to be working. Growth is more than adequate and the BBA is dying back.

I'll do my best to keep the thread going. Next should be a school of angelfish. Thanks for following

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
WoW! Haven't been on AC in quite a while and look what happened!
Your tank is beautiful! Great job on the stand and I like the scape very much.
When those plants grow in a bit more it'll look lovely. Enjoy your tank, super work!
Thanks so much. Plant growth has been good so far. I've slowly been thinning the starter stuff back and adding in new plants as things have settled down. I have some 4 leaf clover and a dwarf lilly in there now. Contemplating redoing the back left corner as well. Its fun and I am enjoying the tank very much.

Thanks for your interest.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
amazing! you built the coolest stand ever, youve got super cool DW, and your plants look AMAZING! the problem with showing cool tanks on threads like these is that you run the risk of people sneaking into your house and stealing your tank! LOL :rofl :)

JK :)

just one thing, your angels might eat your otos. otherwise, this is one of the best tanks ive ever seen in my life!

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
amazing! you built the coolest stand ever, youve got super cool DW, and your plants look AMAZING! the problem with showing cool tanks on threads like these is that you run the risk of people sneaking into your house and stealing your tank! LOL :rofl :)

JK :)

just one thing, your angels might eat your otos. otherwise, this is one of the best tanks ive ever seen in my life!
Wow, thanks for the nice comments, glad you like it. I've heard this about Oto's and angelfish, but after research I've heard a bunch of people say its fine. What can you do? The angelfish will be small when introduced, and then I guess we'll see. I'll keep you posted. Again, thanks for your interest and compliments.

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
AMAZING build. That tank is beautiful!! :hearts:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks great!

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Update photos

Here's the most recent shots from the 125. Things continue to grow in nicely. Doing some active pruning and rescaping, as well as adding a plant here or there. Getting geared up to add 4 Philippine blue angelfish to the mix in 6-8 weeks. See what you think.

013 (4).JPG

Serpae tetra
017 (3).JPG

Emerald and albino cory catfish
011 (5).JPG

Stickfish
016 (3).JPG

Shrimp of some kind
022.JPG

Thanks for following.

013 (4).JPG 017 (3).JPG 011 (5).JPG 016 (3).JPG 022.JPG

Rbishop