4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
The french doors will be blocked off as the side of the tank is slightly past where the doorknob is. I'm going to swap out the doorknob with another deadbolt possibly to allow more clearance for the black plastic curtain I'm going to hang between the tank and the doors.

The door behind the tank allows access to the room from outside and the other door allows access to the room from the laundry room.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Since that french door leads to the outside you might want to reconsider its use in the event of a leak it would make a better path for water and wet items to and from the tank. I would at least consider having them open outward and maybe recessing that corner on the tank to allow for one door alternate access be it people, supplies or drainage. Sure has a nice path to the curb. But if the door behind the tank leads to the outside (not seen) I suppose your good to go with one of them blocked off.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Even if the doors opened outward, the wall of the tank is right up against there, so it would be of no use. There's already another door to outside, so no need to have the french door access. I originally was going to remove the french doors and close in the wall, but for several reasons (matching the siding near impossible, if I sell my house, I'd have to put them back to remove the tank, and I like how they look, etc.) I chose to keep them. Recessing that side of the tank would be (looking for word not to come off like a jackass here and can't think of one). I don't get what's so important about a nice path to the curb being, but the side door has an easier path since it hits the driveway.

As far as the possibility of a leak, let's hope that never happens, but in the even it does, there will be a large gate valve 3-4" that I just have to open the door behind the tank, attach a pipe, and open the valve. The tank will empty quite quickly down the driveway. The gate valve will have a padlocked cover over it to prevent stupidity.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
there will be a large gate valve 3-4" that I just have to open the door behind the tank, attach a pipe, and open the valve. The tank will empty quite quickly down the driveway.
You might consider 2 valves one after the other in the same line. Double block is what they call it at work. If one fails you got another just in case already in place ya know. Just somehting to consider.

Arkangel77

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
That's a good idea, but I only have 5.5" to work with. I suppose I'll add a rubber endcap on them. Going to put 2 - 3" instead of 1 4" the 3 inch gate valves are 1/3 the price of the 4" one.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
So are you going to have an automatic fill system from tanked water treated water or will you do in manually?
Entire water exchange will eventually be automatically controlled with meters for just about any parameter you'd want to know about the water.

It will include a freshwater denitrification system. Possibly the algae scrubber type or a scaled down version of the type Johnptc is testing over on MFK. I've studied aquaponics for a while now and may incorporate some of that technology as well. The possibilities are endless; considering whole house RO/DI (which I was prior to this project when I had 20 or so tanks set up), Neoprodigy's dosmatic/prime system, and so on.

What I've said from the beginning of this project is that the tank will have many filtration subsystems and not be reliant upon one main system i.e. sump with scrubbies. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way and those systems work to a certain degree individually. My thought is to have interconnected subsystems that make up for the shortcomings of each on their own.

My sole purpose with this system is to successfully raise Arapaima gigas to the point that I need a bigger place to keep them. That place is actually in the works right now featuring a 60' diameter 100K gallon Arapaima recirculating aquaponics system.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Rain, rain, go away. Well, I was able to see that there's two leaks in my roof I didn't know about, but that's another story altogether. I think it's coming in by the flashing. Fortunately, my neighbor is my roofer.

Anyway, I started cutting 2x6s as soon as I got home from work and didn't stop until the sky turned black. I was able to pick up everything just in time. Here's what I was able to get fitted tonight. Hopefully, tomorrow night I'll be able to cut the last of the pieces for the first layer. Everything should make a lot more sense then.

I need to pick up some more lumber, return some things to Lowe's and pick up some more square driver bits. They make screwing 3" deck screws so much easier, as does the magnetic screw sleeve holder guide. Love that thing almost as much as my new speed square. It's fluorescent orange!

PICT0001.JPG PICT0002.JPG PICT0003.JPG PICT0004.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store