Jay's Planted 180g Tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
The body shape reminded me of nannacara anomala. That's a beautiful little guy.
Thanks Jay.

Mark
Mark, I was thinking along the same line as you because the focus in on the cory in the pic not the cichlid. The cichlid is a little blurry so you don't see the long feathery dorsal when you first look although I was thinking laetacara dorsigera, not nannacara

Thanks for clearing things up Jay -- Beautiful Fish!!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Nice vid, Jay. I really love that tank. LOL Looks like a thousand dollars worth of petite nana in there.

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Mark, I was thinking along the same line as you because the focus in on the cory in the pic not the cichlid. The cichlid is a little blurry so you don't see the long feathery dorsal when you first look although I was thinking laetacara dorsigera, not nannacara

Thanks for clearing things up Jay -- Beautiful Fish!!
Looked up the laetacara dorsigera...what a beautiful little cichlid! Interesting how the body shapes of so many resemble one another. All descended from a common ancestor, perhaps?

Mark

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Yes the laetacara dorsigera and nannacara anomala definitely cool looking fish from web pics. I though they'd be cool to keep until I read their needs not really compatible for my community tank. I don't know that I've seen them in local pet shops but am going to keep an eye out for them.

Thanks.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
L. dorsigera were all over the market not too long ago (1-3 years), like mini-acaras! A tiny bit bigger than apistos but at least as mellow. I'm surprised your girl can't tell what species should be most attractive, lol,... girls will be girls I guess, even if the male is "not quite" the same, if he can't "step-up" or doesn't for whatever reason...lack of interest, wrong species. Happens sometimes...ya never know with cichlids.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I'm surprised your girl can't tell what species should be most attractive, lol,... girls will be girls I guess, even if the male is "not quite" the same, if he can't "step-up" or doesn't for whatever reason...lack of interest, wrong species. Happens sometimes...ya never know with cichlids.
Well she will beat them both up but the Hongsloi seems to give up quicker in general but also because once the Macmasteri catches on he comes flying over. The Hongsloi and Macmasteri have divide the tank in that the Macmasteri allows the Hongsloi to remain on the left side of the tank. When she ventures away from the right the Macmasteri follows on which ever side means he's between her and the Hongsloi which is a pretty amazing instinct to observe in fish IMO.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Well I recently took inventory of what's in the 180g so here it goes...
Alternanthera reineckii ''roseafolia''
Anubias nana
Anubias nana petite
Blyxa japonica (this isn't doing as well as it was in the middle of the tank and it may just go away.)
Bolbitis heudelotii
Bolbitis heudelotii Cuspidata "mini"
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Cryptocoryne wendtii
cryptocoryne wendtii green gecko
Cryptocoryne wendtii tropica
Cyperus helferi (disappointing it's the only plant in the tank that has bba on the tips cutting it looks terrible treating hasn't done much.)
Echinodorus parviflorus
Hottonia palustris
Hygrophila corymbosa
Hygrophila pinnatifida (I had hopes it would recover removing it from the shaded area and although it has slightly better growth it is still struggling in my tank.)
Limnophila aromatica (completely green in my tank and I was so hoping it would keep its purple color.)
Lobelia cardinalis
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia repens x arcuata
Marsilea minuta (the C. parva was too slow to carpet so I threw this into the mix.)
Microsorum Pteropus
Rotala colorata
Rotala macrandra
Prosrpinaca palustris
Staurogyne repens
Vallisneria americana (This will be coming out of the tank but I'm not sure what will fill that space.)

Give or take a few species that didn't make the list. The hardest part of this modified dutch style scape I'm attempting is that I find it difficult to manicure and still have it presentable. Currently I'm just cutting and replanting a few stems a week but come October I'll give it one big hack and let it recover over the winter with any luck.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
whoa...how do you keep track of them all wait wait, let me guess you keep a book by it and write them down when you get them,tell me how you remember im quite young 13 and i could not remember all that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store