Canister Filter Q

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cooldude123

Yesterday Upon the Stair
Sep 8, 2007
Bangor,Me
Real Name
Brian
They say hindsight is 20/20...
So, I HAD a Pen Plax Cascade 700 canister filter. Unfortunately said filter is now in several pieces on the living room floor.
My question is, should I just order another one? It was my first canister style filter, but that being said I wasn't overly fond of the design. I've been mulling over making my own canister out of a bucket. Either that, or seeing if a different brand filter would be able to use the 1/2'' tubing that is already set up in my tank.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I'd get a Eheim. Sun Sun are exactly that. Cheap. They work, but you get what you pay for, as you have already found out. Classic Eheim's come with everything you need. Spending a little more now will save you in the long run.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
IMO, they've all taken a hit in terms of component quality, regardless of name brand.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
IMO, they've all taken a hit in terms of component quality, regardless of name brand.
To an extent. I know I am in the minority here, but I would never buy another SunSun. The handles on the baskets are worthless. The parts are very thin, cheap plastic. The flow rate is poor. They do not come with any media. And the 2 I had were noisy. I just replaced them with Eheim's. Only negative I can think about with the smaller Eheim classic's is the clips use to hold the pump onto the canister. And you really don't need those.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My Sunsun 302 was $59 shipped, media included a little over 1.5yrs ago. You're right on though. The plastic tray handles are junk, as is the suction and discharge plastic parts. Honestly it's about what I expected for the price. It's been filtering silently for me all along, but it should be given the relative newness.

My $99 Marineland C360 is a monster in comparison. Given you can find regular name brand units for close to $100, it's worth the little bit more money.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store