My 185gal build in progress (lots of pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I think I would build the frame up.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
More !!! this is exciting!! I can not wait to see this tank up and running, I am on the edge of my seat :eek: thank you so much for the updates :)

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
More !!! this is exciting!! I can not wait to see this tank up and running, I am on the edge of my seat :eek: thank you so much for the updates :)
I think you're more excited about this than I am!! Okay, lots of pics tonight... I finished a bit early so I went on a photo spree.

The tank, sitting on the flipped over stand, a few coats of epoxy on it, and masking tape over the hardwood so I don't get black goo on it.

The rear corner where the overflow box will be mounted:

Overflow box:

My giant 50gal rubbermaid sump, with rubbermaid set of drawers that will house my filer media/bio tower:

Making sure the 2" fittings still slide into the epoxied holes. The fittings will get siliconed in place later in the build:

Birds eye view looking forward:

The beginnings of the tank top. I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do here... but this is the bare panel, cut to shape, so I could at least do some other fitting...

Experimented with some stain, and what a layer of un-tinted epoxy over the stain. Dunno if I'm happy with this color, but at least it looks like the screw holes won't look too bad once plugged:

And one last shot:

bluerat

im a girl ... not a dude
Oct 7, 2006
hampshire, uk
i want to see whats next, more please

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Good update!

dkht25

AC Members
May 10, 2007
Looks Very Good. I don't know if they have them in your area, but if you get face grain screw plugs they will blend in lots better than regular plugs.

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Looks Very Good. I don't know if they have them in your area, but if you get face grain screw plugs they will blend in lots better than regular plugs.
Yeah I looked at those... I couldn't find any at HD. I'm still on the fence with the plugs. I'm tempted to take back the oak plugs and get birch ones. The grain of this wood is so curly and striated that anything will be hard to hide. It might look nicer if they appear to intentionally stand out rather than being badly hidden.

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
Awesome. Thanks for all the detailed updates. I've been researching alot about plywood tanks and I think you just inspired me to finally start.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store