Bally's 40B

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yep that's a grandis. Not all that common in the hobby. Nice find.

If you ever frag it, wear glasses to shield your eyes and yes, wash your hands after handling it.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Here are some pictures!!
First the bad.
My acan fell off the rock work at some point when I wasn't home and sustained some damage. It was face down in the sand >.<

My Grandis frag disappeared, I'm assuming it slipped into the rock as I handset secured it down because I wasn't sure of its needs yet. I'll have to find that one today.

Everything else is looking good :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sorry about the acan but it should make a full recovery fairly quickly. Nice pipe organ BTW. Didn't know you had one of those.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I had no idea what a pipe organ coral was, so I googled. Turns out what I thought was a GSP doesn't appear to be so

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nope, that's definitely a pipe organ. You should check out some pics of the white pipe organs. Both the greens and whites are great looking, peaceful corals that won't take over.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Based on what you've mentioned previously, I really think you need more flow. The powerheads you have are fairly small for a tank with your dimensions. Is the cyano in the sand or rocks or both?

Everyone will tell you that a 3-day lights out is all you need to do. I have done it and almost every coral I had bleached out. They cam becak but it was close on a couple. Your nem is not going to like a blackout and will likely move a lot during teh time the lights are out. My suggestion would be to increase flow and possibly replenich your CUC. Is the wrasse picking on your snails/hermits? If their constantly hiding from the wrasse, they're not doing their job.

Are you running any media?

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Based on what you've mentioned previously, I really think you need more flow. The powerheads you have are fairly small for a tank with your dimensions. Is the cyano in the sand or rocks or both?

Everyone will tell you that a 3-day lights out is all you need to do. I have done it and almost every coral I had bleached out. They cam becak but it was close on a couple. Your nem is not going to like a blackout and will likely move a lot during teh time the lights are out. My suggestion would be to increase flow and possibly replenich your CUC. Is the wrasse picking on your snails/hermits? If their constantly hiding from the wrasse, they're not doing their job.

Are you running any media?
The cyano is mainly on the brain skeleton and the skeleton of the brain I lost, with a little on the rock work. I am not running any media, as I don't know where I would put it to run, I don't have a sump or anything. My wrasse doesn't appear to be picking on anyone, my shrimp is out and about at lights out and my hermits are always out and about. Thats about all I have at the moment, as all my snails have mysterously turned into hermits :nilly: I have a few of the "zombie" snails that live in the sand bed and rise up when you feed them, idk the real name of them though. As for more flow, I can easily add it but it seems that everything is being battered by the flow that I have, it blows my sand out of the corners and my corals seem to close up in direct flow. I could add more sand and rock to perhaps fix that. It is also possible that I am babying my corals too much. Plus I don't know how the best flow arrangement is, perhaps needs some fiddling.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nassarius snails but zombie snails works just fine :)

It may just be the position of the powerheads relative to your rockwork creating deadspots. I can't tell for sure but it looks like you have a "stream" type powerhead in there. Wide flow patterns (like the koralia) create more random flow and help eliminate dead spots. Not trying to get you to run out and spend more money on pumps but too little flow and/or the wong type of flow will contribute to cyano growth. If the problem persists only in thos areas, changes are improved flow (along with nutrient control) will help.

If the cyano is mainly on dead coral skeletons that it sounds like it is being fueld by the decay on those skeletons. You have a HOB filter don't you? Grab a large bag of Chemipure Elite or some low ash carbon and some GFO (Rowaphos or Phosban) and throw the media in your filter.

FWIW, I have 1 hermit in my tank and I won't add anymore. May want to add back a few snails and possibly a florida fighting conch or two.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store