Thinking about switching to salt...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Well I guess I'll be experimenting with the salt lol. Last night I tried to feed the chalice and I got several pieces of mysis and cyclopeeze all over the top of it. I saw a couple YouTube videos of them feeding and I didn't see anything similar. I guess it's new and I should give it some time I suppose.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Anyone have any experience with sally lightfoot crabs? im thinking they are about the same mindset as emerald crabs, but id like some opinions if anyone has any.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Pics look great. You water is crystal clear!

Sally's are a lot like emeralds but they are more aggressive and take advanatge of opportunities to feed whenever they can. You can expect snials and other small crabds to get picked off and if it doesn't have enough algae or supplemental foods, they are fully capable of catching and eating small fish (as you might guess from their name, Sally's are very quick).

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Thanks greech. I try to keep it clean lol. I joined a local sw club and went to the first meeting Sunday. It was great! Got a gift certificate for my lfs. And nice little montipora frag. We will see how it does. I would recommend anyone who really enjoys the hobby to join a local one.

I also got in on a cuc group buy. I got several snails, two peppermint shrimp and a coral banded shrimp. There was a sally lightfoot on the list and I'm glad I didn't get it. Neat looking crab, but I don't want something like that in the tank.

And also...my gf says she's getting a bit bored of the cichlids. So I'm thinking of changing my 100 to salt as well. I'm actually thinking of buying a tank from greatlakesaquariums.com, and using my old stand. So im either looking at a 100 or 120. The 100 is 60x18x22 and the 120 was 60x18x26. The 120 is considerably more, but would look better. But when adding the overflow and some other options it's pretty expensive. But well worth it I think. Hopefully I'll be able to start a new tank thread soon :D

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ranchialex

Registered Member
Jan 18, 2012
Hey just a quick note to say thanks for this thread. Just read all through it and while I'm not ready to give up my cichlid tank yet, I'm several steps closer to deciding to plunge into marine. Great looking tank, btw.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Hey just a quick note to say thanks for this thread. Just read all through it and while I'm not ready to give up my cichlid tank yet, I'm several steps closer to deciding to plunge into marine. Great looking tank, btw.
Your welcome, it really is a great way to go for sure, more expensive but the thing I've realized is that there is more "entertainment per gallon" than a freshwater tank. Watching pods and such crawling around the tank, not to mention corals and the fish, I would recommend it.

I'm setting up a 180 soon, hopefully as soon as we get a house, the tank is mine whenever I'm ready for it.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
My chalice hasn't been "inflated" for several days. It has basically looked the same since I got it from the lfs. It had actually grown some down the side of the plug. Any ideas why it's doing this?

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1329267432.145315.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1329267410.753134.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1329267410.753134.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1329267432.145315.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store