My 125 gallon build a.k.a. in the deep end...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

takadi

AC Members
Mar 16, 2011
What amazes me is that it has taken you all but two weeks to get to this point (assuming that your first post is when you started building). With my skills, it would probably take me a year just to get halfway

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Very Nice
Wow diggin the stand and canopy!
Very nice job...
Thanks for the compliments and interest. Truthfully, right now its a wood-working thread with a fishtank sitting on top of it. But I swear, I am going to fill this thing with water some day. Please help remind me of these days when the walls of the tank are covered with an inch of algae!!!

What amazes me is that it has taken you all but two weeks to get to this point (assuming that your first post is when you started building). With my skills, it would probably take me a year just to get halfway
Thanks. Looking back, guess its been about 3 weeks, started on weekend of February 27th. But remember, I had a week off from work and my kids were in school and the wife was busy. Put in a lot of hours that week! The weeks of planning and borrowing tools ahead of time helped as well. Not sure I'm halfway myself yet, seems like I've got a very long way to go.

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Major woodworking finally done?

I spent a few hours working in the shop today and I think I've got all the major woodworking done on the stand and hood. I still need to make an adjustable shelf inside the hood for the lights. I think I'll wait until the lights come before I start cutting up any more lumber.

Here some detail shots of the hood..
IMG_0468.jpgIMG_0467.jpgIMG_0466.jpg

And here's the finished stack...
IMG_0469.jpgIMG_0470.jpg

The whole thing has had an initial sanding, but still needs final sanding, staining, and some type of sealer. I bought a mix of stains. Guess I'll try them out on sample pieces and see what I get. Looking for a medium reddish-brown, probably satin finish poly over the top. Anyone with experience finishing red-oak, please speak up. Love any tips anyone has.

I've also started thinking about the contents of the tank...I've got to put water in it someday

IMG_0468.jpg IMG_0467.jpg IMG_0466.jpg IMG_0469.jpg IMG_0470.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks great!

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
One of the finest stand builds I've seen. A little ironic that you've got a $200 fish tank sitting on what looks like a $2000 stand!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store