Lava Rock as bio filter media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

inaun

Registered Member
Feb 15, 2010
Forgive me if this topic has been covered -- I did a search and did not find anything specific to lava rock....though a lot of comments on the topic.

This thread is to discuss advantages / disadvantages of using lava rock as the media for biological filtration.

I have a new canister filter that did not come with adequate bio-media. I will take as a given that the all-too-expensive specialty bio-media is probably superior to lava rock in applied mathmatics....

...but in practicality....is there any reason not to use cheap lava rock in a canister (or similar) filter system rather than running out and buying bio-balls or similar?

And of course the flip side...is there really any reason to buy expensive bio media except where space is highly limited (thus the absolute best efficiency required)?

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
Should work OK. It's all about surface area. You can use normal gravel as filter media, thats how an undergravel filters works. But the rocks are generally round and smooth, not much surface area. You need to have a layer the size of your tank to be usefull.

Volcanic scoria has been formed with lots of bubbles, holes and cracks, so you get a bigger surface area, so it's a better media than normal gravel.

Ceramic biomedia has been specifically made with microscopic holes in it, so it's surface area is even higher. So even more bacteria can live on/in it.

So if you have a big enough filter you could stuff it with Scoria, but you probably need 10X as much volume as ceramic media.

Now if you have an empty tray in the filter, and dont need the maximum possible filtering, and dont want to shell out for expensive media, then drop some scoria in there. It will host a usefull amount of bacteria and be much more usefull than an empty space.

Ian

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
lava rock works just fine i use some in a few of my wet dry filters along with bio balls. you can get lava rock pretty cheap at walmart.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Cant prove it but I think that besides the basic porous surface that lava rock provides, there is organic interactions that take place between the mineral molecules and the bacteria/waste. I notice that compared to other inert or man-man materials it never seems to get putrid or smell bad, in fact I never change my lava rock like I do my carbon, bio-balls, or ceramics.

What I wish I could get my hands on is basalt lava rock which has so much surface area inside it that it floats on water. They use it to make super light concrete but as a filter media would be awesome I think.

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Cant prove it but I think that besides the basic porous surface that lava rock provides, there is organic interactions that take place between the mineral molecules and the bacteria/waste. I notice that compared to other inert or man-man materials it never seems to get putrid or smell bad, in fact I never change my lava rock like I do my carbon, bio-balls, or ceramics.

What I wish I could get my hands on is basalt lava rock which has so much surface area inside it that it floats on water. They use it to make super light concrete but as a filter media would be awesome I think.

Hmm your bio balls and ceramics get smelly? I haven't noticed that,
I never used bio balls but I've been using ceramic media for years.
People have been using lava rock with good results for years it's an excellent bio media.

inaun

Registered Member
Feb 15, 2010
* I only buy/sell thru PayPal and my account is verified *
Sorry, this is off topic, but I noticed the PayPal spam at the bottom of your post and have to comment...

I would never, ever, ever trust PayPal with my bank account number -- and recommend that nobody else trust such financial information to them. They are an unregulated company with a TON of complaints against them. There is a reason to use a credit card over the Internet, for your protection! PayPal entirely bypasses this protection with their big "trust us" smile. If they mess up they can totally deplete your bank account!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store