white film.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Do you think that an airstone on a timer would also accomplish this? I also have some of this film, but am not too annoyed with it. I'm also concerned with the off-gassing of the co2, although i'm using DIY and not pressurized.
I have never been an airstone person (the little bubbles spray water onto lamps, ect).
If there is enough air coming out to "churn" the water surface==yes.

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
help my tank is self destructing faster than a letter from inspector gadget

everything is just getting worse. i put the powerhead in to agitate the waters surface but all it did was push the slime to the other side of the tank. and my water is just getting cloudier. here are some pics
100_1013.jpg

100_1011.jpg

100_1014.jpg

100_1013.jpg 100_1011.jpg 100_1014.jpg

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
not only have i been incredibly carefull about over feeding but my fish havent eaten in 2 days. water is changed now at 50% per week. the film issue has been happening for a while now but it's BAD now. the cloudy water started after i pulled some plants last week.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Double yikes!!

What kind of filter do you have???

Looks like you have 2 different problems.

Cloudy water and a surface scum. Need to fix the cloudy first. You need some kind of micron filter (Diatom, HOT Mag with micron filter, ect), with the WC.

Get cloudy fixed first---then do the surface problem.

chonhzilla

AC Members
Dec 27, 2008
yikes! what kind of filter do you have? maybe you can get a surface extractor to work on it. I love my surface extractor. If you only have a HOB filter I've actually gotten one to work with a surface extractor too. thats my opinion though.

good luck buddy, I hope this helped in some way.

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
i have a eheim pro2. my media is bioglass and i think ehfisubstrat pro. do these need to be serviced in any way? rinsed or something?

the film on the surface is just annoying, like gda on the glass. its easy to get out but it keeps coming back.

chonhzilla

AC Members
Dec 27, 2008
I'm currently using a fulval surface extractor and since I've been using one its gotten rid of my protein film. The other tank shot there looks like you've got an algae bloom. Anyhow, as for me when I do service my filter, I don't even rinse the filter media, I just replace the pads and clean the filter itself but I leave the media alone. Just new pads made a difference for me in just 7 months of service.

Btw I use two filters on mine. I have an ehiem 2232 and a cascade 500 on my 40g. Because I had 2 29gal tanks before.

Just keep in mind it can be many things. I hope we've all help some way. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

thanks
Chonh

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store