What is the REAL tank minimum for CA cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I have 3 (constantly) breeding pairs of cutteri in a 90, along with a handful of small SA cichlids and 6 P. typus catfish to eat the thousands of fry. I'd really recommend those rather than convicts in a 20 high. They claim a small territory and are much less aggressive in general. You wouldn't be able to keep 3 pairs of convicts in a 90, much less other fish too, w/out mayhem and death.

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
I was thinking of getting a larger tank (75-120), and I'd like to have:

At least one Jack (preferably two, even a breeding pair)
At least two Marble convicts (breeding or just two)
At least two Firemouths.
Maybe a Texas Cichlid. I haven't really been sold on the fish and have only been discouraged from keeping one.

I'm guessing I would need a 120 for all those fish? What about a cleaning crew, would crawfish work?

loves Angelfish

AC Members
Sep 20, 2011
Michigan
Real Name
Jen
I was thinking of getting a larger tank (75-120), and I'd like to have:

At least one Jack (preferably two, even a breeding pair)
At least two Marble convicts (breeding or just two)
At least two Firemouths.
Maybe a Texas Cichlid. I haven't really been sold on the fish and have only been discouraged from keeping one.

I'm guessing I would need a 120 for all those fish? What about a cleaning crew, would crawfish work?
yes you would..

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
If you want breeding pairs of each kind of fish, you need to plan for a tank large enough for each pair to claim a large section of the tank when they breed, while leaving plenty of space for your other fish. A 120 would give you lots of good options, provided the decor is arranged appropriately.

As for crawfish, they enjoy eating fish, and cichlids enjoy eating them. If you didn't add the crawfish until the cichlids were large enough to handle themselves against it, it would work out well... until the crawfish sheds it's shell. At that point, it's defenseless for quite some time, and the cichlids would have no trouble gobbling it up.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Even in a 120, that would be pretty packed. I would advise against 2 Jacks as I have found that they are larger and more aggressive than people give them credit for. Mine is about 10" at about 1.5 years old and he COMPLETELY owns my 60 gallon. There is nothing that can live in that tank other than my turtle.

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
Hm. I'm thinking a separate, smaller tank for the convicts.

As for the JDs, how big of a space would I need for multiple Jacks? I'd like to have a few as they are my favorite fish. Any rule of thumb (x amount of gallons per jack after 1)

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
It's not so much gallons as square feet, particularly if you have a breeding pair. Not sure about several males, but it would have to be a huge tank to allow them enough space to get away from an aggressive dominant fish.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
If you want a breeding pair start with a group of 5-6 juvies and swap off the extras after you have an established pair. Plenty of cover, and some sort of shelter with an opening too small for the male to get through would be a wise precaution for the sake of the female. You could also keep a catfish and some giant danios or rainbows for dithers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store